TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Regen on AWD model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by William3, Jan 14, 2011.

1. William3

William3 Member

I'd like to see stronger (than the Roadster) regen on the Model S AWD model. Regen on the Roadster is limited because it is in the rear (and potentially only one tire). Anyone notice how fast the Roadster rear tires wear out? I think the regen contributes to that more than anyone seems to mention. Having regen on both the front AND rear will really help reduce tire wear and allow for stronger regen (if Tesla allows it).

2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Hey William I would like more information on the subject. Can you offer a link? Thanks

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

William3, I think you might be jumping to conclusions for reasons why the rears wear out faster.
    My guess it has more to do with suspension tuning, and the forces on the driven wheels for a car that can accelerate so quickly.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I think the rears wearing out is mainly from the amazing torque. The equally amazing Traction Control allows just a little scuffing off of rubber on every spirited acceleration. It's safe, smooth and intoxicating so the temptation is to do it every time from a stop. Not so in other cars, too much lag, noise, fuel and smoke is emitted to do it all the time which results in not as much tire wear.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I thought a lot of it had to do with the actual tire. It's a very soft compound/max performance summer tire with a low tread rating. Of course the Roadster has a ton of torque as vfx mentioned with doesn't help tread life. The acceleration is amazing.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#6 TEG, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    Early versions of Acura NSX had notorious rear tire wear. In some later years they revised the suspension tuning and increased the longevity of the tire.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/22/business/acura-tire-wear-comes-under-fire.html

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93666
    Might Roadster be configured for handling over tire life?

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

(Might want to revise the title of this topic since it is more about tire life than AWD Model S Regen...)

8. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Well, we know it's configured for efficiency. I'm not sure what implications that has - maybe it's a combo of the reduced toe-in letting the fronts live longer and less camber producing slightly more uneven wear - especially as the car, uhm, encourages a driving style that would normally want more negative camber, not less.

But really, I'm not finding the rear tire life to be that much shorter than on the 911 (which wasn't that much different than the MR2). And the 2/1 ratio front to rear was the same on all three. The only annoying part is the wear bars are more disruptive in an EV.

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I am not currently a moderator, so can't do that. (Hint to a moderator.)

11. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I second that motion...

12. shark2k

shark2k Member

Wait, so what is the hint? That you want to be a moderator or to change the title :tongue:.

-Shark2k