TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Regen or braking?

Discussion in 'Video' started by Gwgan, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

#1 Gwgan, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Just found this online. It is kind of funny how this driver will brook no pass, but I'm wondering if this is a lot of regen braking turning on the lights or is this hard stop and go driving? Can one even tell from this view?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It's hard to tell but it appears that she speeds up and then lets off the accelerator pedal to get back to the speed limit (so it's regen that's activating the brake lights). I'm guessing she's distracted by something which is why her speed is so erratic and she only notices that she's slowed way down when she sees you trying to pass. I'd slow down and let her get way ahead because her next move might be into your lane. I sure wouldn't want her behind me.

3. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Obviously regen.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

As well as a nutcase driver in the S...

Sad to see someone in a Model-S driving so horrible like that, what a bad example that is for that car and the people who own them. I seriously believe drivers like that don't have it all together in their head. Also if they drive like that down the straight away, what the heck are they going to do when they punch that car off the line with all that available torque!?!?

DANGER Will Robinson!

As Jerry indicated these are drivers that you want to stay very VERY far away from, either launch past them or just stay very far behind and just be a spectator. Problem with launching away from them is that they'll goose it as if you're challenging where matters could potentially be worse.

5. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Someone needs to do a video explaining how to drive a Tesla. So many of the Model S's I see do this same thing. People need to learn that coasting means depressing the go pedal some.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

At the 56second mark (12:33:25) she's frankly behaving poorly. She's pinning the driver on the right into a braking situation for, frankly, no good reason.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't a Tesla problem. This is a bad driver problem.

"Slower traffic move right." It's simple, yet so many ignore it -- even when there are posted fines for ignoring it.

7. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#7 wiztecy, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

Problem is that Police selectively enforce the law, only the laws that bring them in e-z $$. I asked a CHP officer why they selectively enforce, and why they don't ticket the slow drivers sitting in the fast lane not passing or moving over to the right. I told him there's a vehicle code that states that the left/fast lane is only for passing and it is illegal to sit there unless your are passing a car. He said that he treats both lanes the same, as equal, meaning you can sit your fat ass in any lane and hold up traffic. I've never once in my life seen anyone pulled over for lane hogging the left/passing lane.

I really wish we could write cops tickets for failing to enforce and know the law!

It becomes an ugly mix when bad drivers are mixed with impatient irate drivers. The outcome typically is an accident that involve innocent people and sometimes injuries.

I saw that too, where the lady in the model-S timed it perfectly to pin the other driver.

8. Right_Said_Fred

Right_Said_Fred Model S - Sig. 283 EU

This is exactly the reason why I switch to low regen when entering the highway: it won't look like I'm braking every time I let go of the accelerator.

9. gelden

gelden Active Member

Why would you lift the accelerator, except when braking? ;)

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If you lift the accelerator slightly, then the car will glide and use less energy overall. However, you don't do it on the freeway and certainly not in the left lane. This isn't what that lady was doing anyway, because lifting it up enough to engage the brake lights is counter-productive. Gliding is close to neutral on the power scale, which won't engage the brake lights.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You have to lift off quite a bit before the brake lights will activate. It's never even remotely been an issue for me.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I can't speak for the people behind me, but to my knowledge it's been a non-issue for me as well.

13. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Perhaps I'm the only one that's noticed, but this is the way *certain people* drive *all the time*. Thanks to the Tesla, now they get automatic brake lights.

14. swaltner

swaltner Member

Yep, as a teen, I teased my mom for driving like this one time. It was in a car with a turbo that my older brother owned, so not her daily driver. While she was driving, she started looking around franticly asking where the police were at. Turned out, she was hearing the turbo spool up and down from her throttle usage. Had a good time explaining that "the throttle pedal is a rheostat, not a toggle switch". :) After that incident, she started relying on the cruise control, even in town.