Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen/power dots....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More so out of curiosity than anything....does anyone know the conditions that affect the dots on the regen/power bar?

Obviously it’s very much temperature dependant but the limitation of regen and power varies so much.....some days I have full power but the regen side is dotted to half way.
On other occasions I have full regen but the power side is restricted. Any ideas what influences this behaviour?

I had dotted power but full regen this year, but don’t remember having it last year. SoC was about 40% I think too, definitely not 20% anyway.

precondition the battery (turn on climate remotely while it’s unoccupied and don’t open any doors) for ~20 mins to greatly reduce the regen degradation.

Do it while still plugged into power, but NOT charging, to reduce the net battery power usage for it (it uses ~13kW at peak ). If you’re charging at the same time it will prioritise charging and won’t precondition (as much?)

I had dotted power but full regen this year, but don’t remember having it last year. SoC was about 40% I think too, definitely not 20% anyway.

precondition the battery (turn on climate remotely while it’s unoccupied and don’t open any doors) for ~20 mins to greatly reduce the regen degradation.

Do it while still plugged into power, but NOT charging, to reduce the net battery power usage for it (it uses ~13kW at peak ). If you’re charging at the same time it will prioritise charging and won’t precondition (as much?)
I’m not sure that that’s accurate.
When my car is charging and saying, for instance, 2 hours to go, if I turn on climate it will eventually say that it’s got 24+ hours to go.
This suggests that it will prioritise the preconditioning when you turn it on whilst charging.

Reactions: Stach