Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking after 40.8 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a 2021 and can confirm i've never seen the regen option on my screen.

One issue i have an am interested if its happening to anyone else, is that even the 'Stopping Mode' options for the 2nd time have been grayed out. It won't let me change it. Only after i reboot does it show back up. Anybody experience this?
Question: Are you in Park when trying to access the Stopping Mode option?

I feel like its been missing in both park and driving modes. Is it only supposed to be available in a certain mode?
I recently I had a situation where I changed driver profile while being in Reverse, all of the changes took place EXCEPT for Stopping Mode (I use Hold, my wife prefers Creep). The car gave me a warning that I needed to be in Park to change it. Even when fully stopped it wouldn't let me update the profile to change my stopping mode. So, in the same way, you may need to be in Park before the Stopping Mode options will be selectable.

Reactions: icculus479
NO, got it in June and I am definitely open to it being weather related. Today I did a test, it was down to 3c and instead of just turning the heat on I used an API call for set_preconditioning_max which I thought had nothing to do with preheating the battery but I had no dots on my 3km drive (used 2% battery warming the car up in 15 minutes though). Sunday I left the house at 5c after setting a departure time on the charge screen and I had all dots. Going to do more playing.

I'm wondering if the 7 extra miles of range I got with the new software version is actually created by less, let's say "gratuitous battery warming?" Lately I have seen the dots in the regen area longer than I've seen in the past but it has been colder here in NY Metro Area- so that could be it. But so far its only been about 3-4 dots on the left, not enough to really affect me.
The scenario I want to test is:
  1. Turn on the climate controls 30 mins before departure and see how many dots I have... Drive an hour on the highway and see how many dots I have at the end.
  2. Not turn on the climate control before I depart... Drive an hour on the highway and see how many dots I have at the end.
  3. Not turn on the climate control before I depart... Drive an hour on the highway with the heater cranking and see how many dots I have at the end.
I'm betting I have less or no dots all the time in scenario 1, and the same ending dots in scenario 1 & 3 (aka more regen capability)- and scenario 2 always has more dots (aka less regen ability). I'm betting that the "gratuitous battery warming" happens when its plugged in or when the heat is cranking vs when its using its battery just to move.

I will say in general I don't feel any real difference in the regen power- and I have a June Model Y- so I still have low and standard in my regen profile.

I have given up trying to make sense of it without having access to the battery temp info. I cant seem to find any repeatability in any test situation. 8c today and my dots are at the N, 6c yesterday and the Dots were at the R (like 2 less) and 10 minutes on normal climate control or the api call for precondition max didnt make any difference other than it was ridiculously hot inside. A couple days ago 3c and 15 minutes with the api call and I had no dots. As much as I find all this stuff fun and interesting and and I enjoy a challenge of figuring stuff out, I have now lost interest and will just wait until the next update when everything changes again.

Reactions: CO_MY
I have given up trying to make sense of it without having access to the battery temp info. I cant seem to find any repeatability in any test situation. 8c today and my dots are at the N, 6c yesterday and the Dots were at the R (like 2 less) and 10 minutes on normal climate control or the api call for precondition max didnt make any difference other than it was ridiculously hot inside. A couple days ago 3c and 15 minutes with the api call and I had no dots. As much as I find all this stuff fun and interesting and and I enjoy a challenge of figuring stuff out, I have now lost interest and will just wait until the next update when everything changes again.
Something that we do to help this situation in winter is to schedule battery charging for early AM (5AM, depending on Amps), so that when you leave in the morning for work the battery has been kept warmer than just sitting all night.

Someone on Reddit let me know that when you charge to over 90% on the battery, the regen braking impact is lessened until you are back below 90%. That seems to be true as I drove it today and was at 99, and once I fell below 90% the regen seemed to be back to what it has been.
I don't charge above 80% and mine is significantly lessened after the latest software upgrade. My change in regen feel is like night and day from what it was before the update. I have to use the brake regularly now whereas in the past, not at all. Our temps are cooler this week, so maybe that's a factor, but waiting to from those in warmer climates. This sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: CO_MY
I found the new regen braking far more "natural" that before. I have my Model Y regen set to "Standard". Before, when I took my foot off the "gas" the car immediately slowed down as regen acted like stepping on the brakes. Now when you lift off the "gas", the car coasts more like petrol fueled cars. If you are cruising above about 30MPH, you may now have to lightly touch the brakes to bring to a stop. However, if there is a car already stopped in front in your lane, then braking tends to operate like before, slowing your car to a halt.
All regen bets are off if you are doing 50MPH and the car in front is stopped.:)

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I feel like its been missing in both park and driving modes. Is it only supposed to be available in a certain mode?

For reference, this is our 2020 MY. Park vs Drive: Stopping Mode is only available in Park.

IMG_4626.jpeg
IMG_4625.jpeg

The scenario I want to test is:
  1. Turn on the climate controls 30 mins before departure and see how many dots I have... Drive an hour on the highway and see how many dots I have at the end.
  2. Not turn on the climate control before I depart... Drive an hour on the highway and see how many dots I have at the end.
  3. Not turn on the climate control before I depart... Drive an hour on the highway with the heater cranking and see how many dots I have at the end.
I'll save you some time, at least scenario 1.
I pre-charged for 30 minutes, raised my battery temps from 66F to 80F. Drive 60 miles/ 80 minutes and the battery temp was 84F. Minimal increase from a long drive.

Not removing Regen, they removed the choice you had between Standard and Low. Tesla controls the regen now. I did learn if you use "Roll" instead of "Hold", it does provide less regen, which is more of how I like it. For those of you who find it too weak now with 40.8, try hold and you'll get a bit more.

I still have the option to set regen between standard and low. And I have the recent update (40.8). I did however also notice a reduction in the strength of regen after the update.

Do you have a 2021 model? They didn't remove it in 40.8 for 2020 models, only 2021 MY.

It’s a 2020, delivered in early October. I was only part way through the thread when I noticed folks were saying they had lost the setting. It was later that I found that only 2021 models were affected.

Still, seems strange to eliminate the ability to tune regen, and to weaken it as well. It was one of the features I bought the car for. Now I’m left wondering what else Tesla might decide to take away or water down.

Picking up my 2021 Y tomorrow and I'm now prepared for it to have non-selectable regen. This change was mentioned in media reports last week. Something I've always wondered is whether some anti-Tesla road rage incidents may result from perceived brake-checking when following a novice Tesla driver. I know that until I adapt to one-pedal driving, my brake lights are going to come on more often, and this is going to be exacerbated by the non-availability of low regen. I am also sure my wife is going to be less happy driving the Y instead of her normal ICE car if regen can't be tuned down. Thanks for the alternative stopping mode suggestions to minimize the impact of this unfortunate unilateral decision.

For reference, this is our 2020 MY. Park vs Drive: Stopping Mode is only available in Park.

View attachment 604072 View attachment 604073
Thank you, appreciate the follow up.

Another scenario (confirmed at my service appointment today), is that its grayed out when regen is limited as well. So when its cold out and regen isn't in play, the software grays that section out as well.