Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking and Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR / BLUF: If frequent Supercharging (120KW) is hard on a battery, would 60KW of regenerative braking for any duration of time also be just as difficult?

I'm not an expert on AC Induction motors, but I'm making the assumption that the motor controller is taking multi-phase AC and turning it back into DC power during regen. From the battery's perspective, I'm guessing this looks like a 60KW flood of juice, similar to a 60KW DC fast charging session, albeit for a shorter time and quick taper to lower power levels. But if this process is repeated over and over again, would it make any measurable difference to put this wear in tear on comparatively inexpensive brake pads?

Until recent software updates, my April 2017 build S75D (350v) would supercharge at ~96KW max, so 60KW regen is not an insignificant rate compared to supercharging and occurs many times per drive.

What are your thoughts on this? Would this be insignificant or otherwise a non-issue?

-DJ in Maryland.
VOYAG3R - S75D

The two key questions is how much impact on "presaging" and "shortening lifespan" regen in general has. I guess much more than we know at this point.
The second question, if the setting "low regen" improves this "wear & tear", especially on the freeway.
Maybe the experts can shed some lights on this.

Tesla has a lot riding on battery health of their cars. If they thought braking was bad for the battery they would throttle it back - and they do at times as noted by Rocky H. Also not clear that supercharging so bad for the battery. The Danish Tesla group looked at all the things that affect battery life and people who supercharged more had better battery life as best as I can remember. Of course this might be because people who supercharge more often drive more and therefore experience less calendar affects on the battery. Even if supercharging affects the battery life a little it may do so by affecting battery temp - whereas a regen brake is too short to affect battery temp. And - disc braking emits more air pollution - while regen does not. Not exactly your question but still a consideration.

Reactions: Rocky_H