Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking chnged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently it seems that the regen braking on my MYP is not as aggressive as it had been. The car received the 2021.32.21 update in the last few weeks, but I can't say for sure that the braking change ocurred at the same time.

At low speeds, approaching a traffic light for example, it seems like it always was. I notice the change more if I'm going downhill at ~40mph or more & let off the accelerator. The green bar at the top of the display appears, but I don't feel much braking happening.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed a change, or if it's my imagination.

Recently it seems that the regen braking on my MYP is not as aggressive as it had been. The car received the 2021.32.21 update in the last few weeks, but I can't say for sure that the braking change ocurred at the same time.

At low speeds, approaching a traffic light for example, it seems like it always was. I notice the change more if I'm going downhill at ~40mph or more & let off the accelerator. The green bar at the top of the display appears, but I don't feel much braking happening.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed a change, or if it's my imagination.
One difference I notice our MY LR on 2021.32.21 does not have Regen Selection but still on there on our MYP 2021.32.22.

Does your MYP still have the Regen Selector?
2020 MYP 2021.32.22
20211009_201738.jpg

2021 MYLR 2021.32.21
20211009_201648.jpg

Look at the power bar the next time you start driving, especially in the A.M. If you see a series of dots starting at the far left of the power bar line these are regen tears. The tears let you know that regenerative braking is going away as the temperature drops. Full regen capability will be gone, like the leaves falling from the trees in autumn only to return next spring.

You can minimize the number of dots by always preconditioning the Tesla vehicle before you drive (especially in the A.M.) Depending on the battery pack temperature this can take 15 minutes to 30 minutes before you will have a usable level of regen. Generally up to 5 dots is not noticeable, 6 to 10 dots is noticeable in terms of lack of regen. Any more than perhaps 9 or 10 dots and there is effectively no regen available and you have to use the brake pedal.

Reactions: Big Earl and MY-Y
Thanks for the replies; I learned a few things. I didn't know about the dots at the left end of the power bar on the screen. It's about 40 degrees F here this morning, & I have 4 dots showing. I'm going out in a little while, so I'll try the preconditioning & see what happens.

@RoBoRaT : I no longer have the regen selection on 2021.32.21. I remember having it before, as I tried changing it back & forth when I first got the car. I wonder why they removed it?

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Thanks for the replies; I learned a few things. I didn't know about the dots at the left end of the power bar on the screen. It's about 40 degrees F here this morning, & I have 4 dots showing. I'm going out in a little while, so I'll try the preconditioning & see what happens.

@RoBoRaT : I no longer have the regen selection on 2021.32.21. I remember having it before, as I tried changing it back & forth when I first got the car. I wonder why they removed it?
SoC makes a big difference in the cooler weather as well. Temp impacts regen at 90% more than 80%.

You'll notice the performance drop at low SoC more when its cold too. There were several software versions last winter that really crushed highway acceleration below 50% SoC when it was cold. One of the software versions last winter made it much better.

Just confirmed that regen options are available. Software updated today. I live in an area with snowpacked or icey roads which requires the ability to turn off regen in slick conditions.
Tesla removed the ability to change the level of regenerative braking from standard to low starting with Model Y vehicles produced around the end of September 2020. Perhaps your Model Y was built before Tesla made this change. My 2020 Model Y, delivered in June of 2020, has the option to set regen to Low. I updated the software today to 2021.36.5.5 and there is no mention in the release notes regarding any change to regenerative braking. What software release did you receive?

Do you see any dots on the left side of the power bar at the top, left side of the main screen? Usually there are a series of dots to indicate how much regenerative braking is unavailable.
No, no dots. That is correct, I normally see the dots when I charge over 90% or it's very cold. This just feels like it has less stopping power when you let off the accelerator. There is no indication of reduced regen on the screen.