Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking control missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a brand new owner, so if I'm doing something terribly naive, please be gentle. I just got my 2020 MS LR+, and for the life of me I can't find how to change regenerative braking between Low and Standard. As far as I can tell, the option isn't on the Controls > Driving screen. I remember seeing that during the test drive (of a different MS). Here's a photo of this screen on my MS, without control settings for regenerative braking.

For reference, I'm on 2020.36.11. Tried resetting the MCU and the whole system, without change. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

IMG_5463.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
I wouldn't want to be driving my Tesla on ice without the ability to lower regenerative braking. Cutting the throttle quickly in an ICE car can be bad enough for stability in low-traction (or worse, split-mu) driving.
With full-on regen in such a situation, it's almost like slamming on the mechanical brakes.
Worst case would be in an RWD car, where the fronts continue free-rolling and all regen is in the rear. It could be kind of like yanking an e-brake handle (not that I didn't do that in my younger days in empty parking lots and cheap crappy cars.)
Maybe Tesla wants to see how good their stability control really is this winter?

This reminds me - I need to get a good jack and change onto my 19s soon. It was 39F this morning.

Reactions: Barry
I'm a brand new owner, so if I'm doing something terribly naive, please be gentle. I just got my 2020 MS LR+, and for the life of me I can't find how to change regenerative braking between Low and Standard. As far as I can tell, the option isn't on the Controls > Driving screen. I remember seeing that during the test drive (of a different MS). Here's a photo of this screen on my MS, without control settings for regenerative braking.

For reference, I'm on 2020.36.11. Tried resetting the MCU and the whole system, without change. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

IMG_5463.jpeg

Try scrolling on this page to see if there is another slider hidden below that line.

Report this as a service appointment from the app. A technician will call and you will probably be pushed software to reinstall. Something didn't configure properly. Also, try a reset by holding both steering wheel buttons in until the dash goes dark. That may fix it.

I believe the ability to adjust the setting was dropped on new cars to achieve the latest EPA range rating.
I can confirm that. I was visited by a mobile tech today, and the final answer to the missing regen control is that as of June 2020, all Model S vehicles manufactured no longer have the ability to switch regenerative braking to Low. This was also put in writing on the service invoice.

TL/DR: Regenerative braking control is no longer available in new Model S cars.

With regards to the missing Range control, the tech could find no information that it was dropped; a bug report is being forwarded to Engineering.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
With full-on regen in such a situation, it's almost like slamming on the mechanical brakes.
It really isn't. The car detects the friction loss and immediately lowers the regen if necessary. It's no different from slamming mechanical brakes with ABS.
Worst case would be in an RWD car, where the fronts continue free-rolling and all regen is in the rear.
Been there, done that. Also that is no problem. Even in snow and ice (we're talking Canadian winters here) I never had an issue because the rear wheels would never lock up.

Reactions: GtiMart