Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Regenerative braking has been improved" on "Legacy" 2015 S70D thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought improved regen was only going to be for Raven/M3 when I saw it somewhere in update notes on Electrek. But It seems I did get "something" on my 2015 Model S70D(Instrument cluster prompted of improved Regen).

Didn't think any of us "Legacy" car owners were ever going to get anything of substance in updates anymore.

I personally noticed it and quite liked it, felt stronger and getting closer to full stop only on regen. I didn't tell my girlfriend and let her drive today and she asked my why it was stopping harder(she isn't the biggest fan of regen braking)

Couldn't find anyone posting on improved regen(non-Raven), could be a fluke notification and all in my head but regardless I'm happy.
IMG_20200508_173610.jpg

(Yes I put air in the tires before driving, I barely ever drive now due to having to work from home)

I thought improved regen was only going to be for Raven/M3 when I saw it somewhere in update notes on Electrek. But It seems I did get "something" on my 2015 Model S70D(Instrument cluster prompted of improved Regen).

Didn't think any of us "Legacy" car owners were ever going to get anything of substance in updates anymore.

I personally noticed it and quite liked it, felt stronger and getting closer to full stop only on regen. I didn't tell my girlfriend and let her drive today and she asked my why it was stopping harder(she isn't the biggest fan of regen braking)

Couldn't find anyone posting on improved regen(non-Raven), could be a fluke notification and all in my head but regardless I'm happy.
View attachment 539991
(Yes I put air in the tires before driving, I barely ever drive now due to having to work from home)

I haven’t noticed that little pop up, interesting. The regen sure got reduced before last winter, they did restore some of it, I believe, as long as the battery was warmed enough, but there was the whole “unable to warm up or preheat the battery” fiasco along with it, which they mostly fixed, but haven’t seen that displayed in the cluster. Which update are you on?

Did you get the message as the average cell temperature approached 67F? I wonder if they are using the larger notification instead of the little triangle to inform you of changes in regen.

I've driven the car once since 2020.12.11.5 and it seemed the same to me. I did not get the notification, but my battery was 67 degrees when I left my house.

OK, blast from the past, right?

@fabionomaz any long term update on your car's behavior?

My car has been acting weird since my Tegra daughter board replacement the Tesla Service asked me to do a factory reset. They had to do one when the first replaced the board a few weeks ago so I knew the pain it is to set it all back up but decided to do the Factory reset anyway. Upon it booting back up I was greeted with my LTE cellular not working and some interesting patch notes and the improved regen message. Currently on 2020.40.9.2. I haven't taken it for a drive yet but this thread was the only thing that came up when I was looking for more info about Improved regen on older cars (Also kind of weird patch notes about Improved Navigation beta, but that should have been released 2020.8.1)

20201211_153341.jpg
20201211_184505.jpg
20201211_153244.jpg

You see that by bringing up the service page, and hitting notifications tab.

Yes that is the best way. Also if you have an active notification a red or yellow (depending on the severity) will show up on the top left part of the screen and you can "click" on the icon. You can test this by having your car plugged into the charger and trying to shift into gear. It wont allow you and it will throw a notification icon. They changed it from being a full screen window to a top bubble popup in 2020.48.X.X so it may look a little different than the screenshot I posted in you are on the latest version.

Note that it seems that these notifications auto-clear after a certain time or distance so if try to check for the notifications and you dont have any recent ones then nothing will be shown.