Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking, How Much Does it Actually Do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car keeps stats on that, but you would need to connect directly to the computer to see that info. Here is my car with Scan My Tesla:

A400F2D5-4E72-4C86-BD37-1710743BFADE_1_201_a.jpeg

Your car keeps stats on that, but you would need to connect directly to the computer to see that info. Here is my car with Scan My Tesla:

View attachment 771779
56%. That's pretty good. Better than I expected. Do you do a lot of level or mountainous driving? It would be cool to be able to click on something on the display to show daily, weekly, monthly, annual stats. Or maybe in the app. Thanks for sharing this info.

Reactions: voyager
Are there any data on how much energy is won back by regererative braking under different conditions?
I can imagine it being more effective when gradually slowing down for a stoplight ahead.
Not so in heavy, stop and go traffic.

Found this:
"When the conventional vehicle brakes, the energy is lost to heat energy resulting from the friction between the brake pads and wheels. Regenerative braking allows the range of the EV to be extended; however, the efficiency of capturing this energy is reported to vary from 16% to 70% (Boretti, 2013). The reason for this significant difference in efficiency will depend on the driver's style of driving whether they brake gradually or severely."

Last edited:
Looks like 15% to me.

DC + AC + Regen totals = 38,261, of this Regen is 5,572, so 5,572 / 38.261 = 15%. I think.
Keep in mind that “coasting” is more efficient than regen. So if the car had no regen it doesn’t necessarily mean you would have charged the car 5,572 KWh more without it.

Problem is you can’t always coast. So effective savings from regen is something less than 15%.

Keep in mind that “coasting” is more efficient than regen. So if the car had no regen it doesn’t necessarily mean you would have charged the car 5,572 KWh more without it.

Problem is you can’t always coast. So effective savings from regen is something less than 15%.

My argument on that is, I don't necessarily want regen anyway when I can't coast. Driving around town, using brakes to stop, I'm never far from home. Who cares how efficient it is. But on the highway where I'm trying to cover many miles I want no regen so that I can coast at slowdowns and downhills and be more efficient.

I guess their calculators say regen all the time and no blended braking is the most optimal for the most drivers. But I don't think it is for me.

I haven't come across anyone that tells just how much energy regenerative braking adds to the battery. Are there any studies on this?
And I haven't come across any place that tells me how much energy is burned by using brakes, though I can see that the brakes get worn and have to be replaced on gas cars. I would say that regen depends on how you drive. You can push the brake pedal to stop, or you can start slowing down early and let regen bring you to a complete stop so you hardly use the brakes at all. I'm in the second camp, and don't figure to replace my brakes EVER, which is another cost saved by owning a Tesla over owning any gas car.

Reactions: mangrove79
The thread I linked goes into the calculation of the kinetic energy of a car... All the kinetic energy that is converted to heat by using the brakes is lost in heat. Energy that is transformed from kinetic to electric by the regen goes back to the battery, with some portion lost in heat as the system cannot be 100% efficient. The 70% factor that is presented includes both accelerating (battery electricity -> kinetic energy) + regen (kinetic -> electric in the battery) efficiency so just the regen part will be more efficient than 70%.
What's complicated is that when you let go of the accelerator, regen applies anyway, and you add friction brakes if you touch the brake pedal. Whatever you add as friction is lost as heat. The less you touch the brakes the better it is in efficiency.

NOTE: Credit goes to the people that did the actual calculations in that thread, I am merely reporting the info here.

Last edited:
And I haven't come across any place that tells me how much energy is burned by using brakes, though I can see that the brakes get worn and have to be replaced on gas cars. I would say that regen depends on how you drive. You can push the brake pedal to stop, or you can start slowing down early and let regen bring you to a complete stop so you hardly use the brakes at all. I'm in the second camp, and don't figure to replace my brakes EVER, which is another cost saved by owning a Tesla over owning any gas car.

I've put 150,000 miles on a non-ev car and didn't need to replace the brakes. Just don't drive like a dumbass and everything will be fine.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl and ATPMSD
Regen efficiency answers the question: how much do you get back when you have to stop for a red light? If you travel at a constant speed you'll get no regen benefit even from a perfect system. It’s the instances when you must slow or stop before getting back to speed that it contributes. I had understood that one might get 80% back. Which would be like five red lights eating as much range as one red light without regen.

My argument on that is, I don't necessarily want regen anyway when I can't coast. Driving around town, using brakes to stop, I'm never far from home. Who cares how efficient it is. But on the highway where I'm trying to cover many miles I want no regen so that I can coast at slowdowns and downhills and be more efficient.

I guess their calculators say regen all the time and no blended braking is the most optimal for the most drivers. But I don't think it is for me.
You can coast without regen by not lifting your foot as far. Just lift enough to get the speed where it would have been when coasting. You can see in your display when it is and isn’t regenerating. You can also feel it in the deceleration that clearly accompanies regen. Don’t lift your foot enough to give that feeling.