Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking. Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when I test drove the model 3 regen would bring the car to a complete stop.

For me it slows the car but does not stop the car completely irrespective of the street is straight sloping up or down. I have to tap on the brake slightly to make it stop completely.

Is this normal?

Also the brakes squeak when I drive after it has stood a while in heavy rain.

Is this normal?

Yes, I have confirmed that creep is off.

Normal. As well once a week or so and every time after washing the car I turn the regen down from Standard to Low for a few km's around town. This lets me exercise the brakes to dry them out after washing and to clean up the disc/pad surface of any rust/contamination. With regen on Standard the brakes are under utilized and rarley get a chance to heat up.

The BMW and Toyota never squeaked.
Model 3 is only 1 month old.. rust so soon?
Maybe you just didn’t hear it or didn’t pay attention. A thin layer of rust on the rotors can develop as quickly as overnight and will cause the brakes to squeak for a few seconds when they’re first engaged. This is perfectly normal and happens on all cars with disc brakes.

So when I test drove the model 3 regen would bring the car to a complete stop.

For me it slows the car but does not stop the car completely irrespective of the street is straight sloping up or down. I have to tap on the brake slightly to make it stop completely.

Is this normal?

Also the brakes squeak when I drive after it has stood a while in heavy rain.

Is this normal?

Yes, I have confirmed that creep is off.

Regen braking never did bring the car to a complete stop. Just doesn't work that way on a Tesla. What you probably experienced was creep turned off which may sometimes seem as if the comes to a stop, but it actually is just in neutral.

The BMW and Toyota never squeaked.
Model 3 is only 1 month old.. rust so soon?
Because of regen our brakes don't get cleaned off nearly as much as an ICE. It's normal. If it bothers you turn off regen for a few minutes here and there or brake hard occasionally.
No they were not Hybrids. thanks for clarifying, looks like everything is normal. Thanks everyone.
I wished the regen was more aggressive
Dumb question, but you have it on the higher setting right? I think it's pretty aggressive, feels like downshifting. IMO they made it not come to a stop from regen for safety reasons. I assume they don't want people forgetting how to use their brake pedal.

When I pull out onto my street in the early morning, if the window is open I can hear the brakes grind as I come to a complete stop. But that's just the normal sound brakes make, you just have a hard time hearing it with an engine running.,