Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking limited

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw something for the first time on my energy consumption wheel on the dashboard on Friday. It got a little colder here in northern Virginia, and for the first time that I can remember, the wheel showed a dashed line down around the -50 area of the wheel when I got in the car. Then when I put the car in gear, a yellow caution triangle appeared, but no words anywhere to describe what the caution was about. Found the answer in the owners manual. Shows a picture of this dashed line on the energy wheel under the topic of Regenerative Braking. Says the battery can be in a state of not being able to accept full regenerative power due to temperature or State of Charge. I'm pretty certain I've never seen this dashed line before. Seems it's like that when it's cold and I first start driving, but after the battery warms up a bit, the dashed line goes away so that I can again use full regenerative power to charge the battery. When driving the car when the dashed lines appear, I now see why there's a caution triangle. It's because the driver is accustomed to the significant decrease in speed from full regenerative power when releasing the accelerator, and when the dashed line appears, the car simply won't slow down as fast by simply letting off the accelerator, so the driver has to use the brake pedal more.

Just wondering if others are experiencing this new (to me) phenomenon. Thanks!

This happens to me all the time.

It doesn't need to be much below 32F for the regenerative braking to not work.

It is frustrating in that, just when one needs the most efficient use of power because it is cold, the regenerative breaking goes away.

I wonder if setting the performance to insane plus, which warms the battery, would correct this.

I should try that but only when the car is plugged in

i saw this same thing in the AM too. it was a definitely colder morning in chicago and i couldn't figure out why there were dashed marks in that energy consumption wheel. sure enough, regen braking seemed less effective and needed to "warm up".

made sense to me and wasn't a huge deal either. took about 5 mins or so of driving and then the dashed lines were gone. i would say its akin to allowing the oil to get to a good temp before going WOT in a sports/performance car - though that takes alot longer.

i did have the climate control turned on via the app to get the inside of the cabin warm before leaving my garage...wasn't sure if that process alone allows the batteries to heat up? my X was plugged in when i turned the climate control on via the app.

Perfectly normal. When the battery is cold, regen is limited to protect the battery. Don't want to charge a cold battery too fast, it's not good for it :)

It can take quite a while to regain regen, so don't be surprised in the dead of winter when you can go a full day and never have full regen again.

A way to combat some of this is pre-heat before you leave in the morning. Also, charge the battery some. In the winter for me (in Michigan) I will usually charge to 80% when I get home, and finish the remaining 10% before I leave to warm the battery.

It is my understanding you can also heat the battery from the climate control screen and the app by clicking the button in the attached image.

Attachments

• 07476D19-FA0F-4F1C-B44F-4E03203A23B5.jpeg
    07476D19-FA0F-4F1C-B44F-4E03203A23B5.jpeg
    616.7 KB · Views: 235