TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Regenerative braking not working in cold?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Godzill4, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Godzill4

Godzill4 Member

Anyone else experiencing regen brake not working in the cold? I'm here in Texas and it gets no where near as cold as up north and I find it surprising that regen brake isn't kicking in till i hit about 20-30 mph.

Thoughts?

2. gfb107

gfb107 Member

Have you charged to 100%? Regen won't work with 100% charge, as there's no where for the electricity to go. Once the battery drains a bit, regen starts working again.

3. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Page 55 of the Model S manual:

"The amount of energy fed back to the Battery
    using regenerative braking can depend on the
    current state of the Battery and the charge
    level setting that you are using. If regenerative
    braking is limited, a dashed yellow line
    displays on the power meter. For example,
    regenerative braking may be limited if the
    Battery is already fully charged or if the
    ambient temperature is low."

This service brought to you by the Tesla Owners Club Mechanical Turk. "Cut and pasting from the owners manual for customers who won't RTFM since 2013." (c) 2017, all rights reserved.

• Like x 1
  4. Tam

Tam Active Member

That's normal. It doesn't wait for extreme cold or snow or ice in Southern California either (which doesn't get snow or ice in winter unless you drive up to those mountains).

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

My regen starts getting limited when my car has been cold soaking in 45 degree weather. So it's doesn't have to be super cold for it to happen.

• Informative x 2
  6. abasile

abasile Independent Software Eng.

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1800m)
    We live at altitude and park our Model S outdoors, where it is frequently soaked in below-freezing temperatures. The trick is to pre-heat and/or charge the car shortly before driving it. That causes the car to heat the battery pack which means that we usually have at least 30 kW of regen available when we start driving. Even at 80% state of charge, we're then able to drive down the mountain (4900' / 1500m descent) with enough regen to stay off the brake pedal.

• Informative x 1
  7. Godzill4

Godzill4 Member

ahh I see. I usually have my battery set to daily driving charge so it won't ever charge fully and it'll leave about 20 miles to full charge. Here in central Texas there are those rare days where it hits about 35 degrees or so and thats when I can tell that regen is slow to kick in. Nonetheless, Im glad you guys helped ease my mind!

8. Mine GO BOOM

Mine GO BOOM Member

This past Sunday in NYC, I didn't get any regenerative breaking until I was about 20 miles into a drive. It was in the teens all day, so pretty cold. Previously with 40s temperature, I had at least a tiny amount of regenerative breaking at the start, so was surprised I had completely none. Side note, I discovered this car coasts like a boss, never felt so low of friction before even when putting my previous cars into neutral.

9. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

I had a contactor failure at about 88 MPH. the S 70D coasted at least 1.5 miles until I applied friction brakes to stop it. It might be a little bit slipperier than the X.