Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking not working in cold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was cold overnight in SW Ontario. Car charged for ~20 minutes around 2:00 am to bring it to ~70% as per usual. This morning it was still frigid (~7C) and the car reported Regenerative Braking Limited. It did feel "limited" versus disabled. When I charged to 95% for a road trip there was no regen. This felt like there was some there. After driving for ~15 minutes, quick park and return to car the message was gone and everything seemed back to normal.

Happened today with a winter tire install. New tires and wheels. Mild temperatures, not fully charged. Went straight to the service center and they said it could be the new tires and the car learning them.

Sounds like BS.

Regen limit depends on pack model, pack temperature, and firmware. Mine starts limiting at 14-15C, as of some firmware last year, which was higher than it has been in past years. Although note that this is just the *displayed* limits. The real regen limit keeps increasing up past a pack temp of 40C (for my pack).

Last edited: