Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot-winter.png

You should get a message on the screen when it’s cold out: “regenerative braking limited”

You will gain back additional regen braking as the battery pack gets warmer, either from driving or from the outside temp going up.

You should get a message on the screen when it’s cold out: “regenerative braking limited”

You will gain back additional regen braking as the battery pack gets warmer, either from driving or from the outside temp going up.

I haven't seen that message lately. My guess is that it caused too much unnecessary concern. Indeed when I took delivery, I got that message and assumed something was wrong.

Time your charge to end near your estimated departure time.
- Charging warms up the battery.
- Warm battery helps warm the cabin.

Also, use Tesla App to turn on cabin heat 10 or 15 minutes before planned departure. This uses power from charging cable for heat, leaving more juice in your battery. Also, at least in S & X, turning on cabin heat also enables battery heat.

The message still appears when regen is limited by temperature. It does not seem to appear when regen is limited by state of charge. If your battery is charged to 90% or so, then regen will be limited until you get down around 80% or lower. When the battery pack is cold soaked in 50F temps, your regen will be further limited until the pack warms. All of this is covered in the owner's manual on page 49-50, and mentioned in several other sections.