Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking on icy roads need to turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to have option to turn off regenerative braking specially in snow, I had too much problems with regenerative braking and In a few moments, the car loses control and slips , Does anyone have a way to turn it off or change to low ?

No way I know of to turn off regen completely, only to adjust its strength. Early MY models had low and standard settings, newer models only have standard - you can thank Elon for that, something to do with adding a few extra miles of range so it looks better.

I do not have this, but they claim to be able to adjust the regen via buttons to make API calls. So even though it is locked to standard on the screen for newer cars, apparently under the covers you can still change it?

Other things to look at. Do you have proper winter tires, not all seasons but actual winter tires? Big difference. Turn on chill mode. I know chill mode is for acceleraton and not braking, but it will change how you drive which can make a difference to braking.

As Bjorn's video shows, regen adjusts automatically when wheels slip. There is no need to reduce or disable it. Yes, for a fraction of a second you will feel some wheels lose traction as the car adjusts. The only way to find the traction limit is to go over the limit and adjust. The car will constantly try to bring the regen levels up and will eventually slip again, adjust again etc. What's important is that you never lose control. The stability control system is great and will prevent that. If you are really losing control and not simply "feeling bad" then there is a real problem.

I was going to buy the buttons when I experienced what winter driving was like on the stock tires in November. Admittedly my tires were in pretty bad shape, especially the rears. It was sliding all over the place and letting off the gas would kick the rear end out into a slide. The winter tires solved 90% of it, I do still experience the regen slide once in awhile and sometimes a RWD kick out from start but its manageable. If I was driving in real bad winter conditions a lot, I’d probably get them, but in the mid-west we have a few bad storms a year, not nightly snow. OP probably similar to my conditions, however I don’t know if you get lake effect in Toronto. I’ve come to the conclusion the car is never going to drive like any modern SUV/Truck in snow, you have to baby it way more, it‘s more like driving an entry level sports car like a mustang.

I live in Quebec City where there's almost constant snow/ice in winter, well under freezing all the time. I have good snow tires though. I don't drive my car gently. In fact, I can press the accelerator as hard as I want, the car reduces power so the car never spins out of control. It reduces it so much that it doesn't even let me have a bit of fun. The back never slips by more than an inch or two unless I really try to do a scandinavian flick... even then, it's always very controlled.
I think this just needs a bit of getting used to. When people are used to be on rails, a couple of inches of back slip might feel like losing control... but it's not.

I need to have option to turn off regenerative braking specially in snow, I had too much problems with regenerative braking and In a few moments, the car loses control and slips , Does anyone have a way to turn it off or change to low ?

No, because Elon knows best. Also, see "phantom braking" on cruise control, no dumb cruise control option either.

The only way to do so is to purchase S3XY buttons after market, even though it is a pretty easy software fix to give the customer the choice given the comfort safety reasons. Even if someone gets "used" to the regen and how much to let go of the pedal, good luck when your SO or child needs to borrow or drive your Tesla in this sort of weather.

As others mentioned re-gen adjusts constantly depending on surface condition. Basically it always re-gens unless it slips in which case depending on level of spin it will either reduce re-gen OR stop it completely. Only annoying thing is you need to "guess" if the car is going to regen or not and by how much AND adjust your braking and braking distances accordingly.

You'll want to install snow tires or, if ice is a very common occurrence for you, studded snow tires.

The "S3XY" buttons from Abstract Ocean are able to adjust regen from 100% down to 0% in 25% increments. If I lived in an area with frequent snow I would get them.

Keith

I saw a video a while back on software released for the model 3 that had a snow mode. It allowed you to not only change the distribution of power to each motor but to also adjust the strength of regen braking. I remember Elon tweeted it would be available soon for the Y - lets hope so.

I saw a video a while back on software released for the model 3 that had a snow mode. It allowed you to not only change the distribution of power to each motor but to also adjust the strength of regen braking. I remember Elon tweeted it would be available soon for the Y - lets hope so.

You mean the video that's 4 or 5 posts up from yours? If so, there is no ability to adjust it, it adjusts "automatically", and you have no control over it. Better I guess than nothing.

But man, wouldn't having an option like you used to have on the S years ago where you can turn off regen braking be a simple thing to add....

You mean the video that's 4 or 5 posts up from yours? If so, there is no ability to adjust it, it adjusts "automatically", and you have no control over it. Better I guess than nothing.

But man, wouldn't having an option like you used to have on the S years ago where you can turn off regen braking be a simple thing to add....
No. It was a video that showed the menu system and the options. It didn’t show the car driving. Pretty sure it was on Twitter as Elon responded and said it would be available for the model Y soon. I can’t seem to find it now.

Back in Sept, Elon said vectorspace 360 view was coming "next month". That was five months ago. He first said it was coming "soon", over a year ago. So I wouldn't hold your breath with anything Elon promises. There's a reason "Elon Time" is a thing.

Only thing to do is take it easy on the go / no go pedal. Car is really good at going straight in slippery condition, but you still need to keep a close eye out. I got a very big wiggle the other day on ice patch. Woke me right up. Tires do make a big difference.