Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking on icy roads need to turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And there's the case of the driver who's not used to driving on ice and snow, makes sudden adjustments, doesn't leave enough distance between his car and the one in front, and end up sideways on the freeway. I've seen it happen, and I had to do some quick thinking to get out of his way as he did a 360 beside me. NO quick movements or adjustments! SLOW down!

Luckily, it's nearly spring and the ice will melt until next year.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
Is there an option to select the snow mode or does it come on automatically? I recall before all the updates, there was a snow mode.

This sucks because me driving up the street, the car felt like it was going to fishtail like crazy but my neighbor's fwd minivan out handled me.

I was going to buy the buttons when I experienced what winter driving was like on the stock tires in November. Admittedly my tires were in pretty bad shape, especially the rears. It was sliding all over the place and letting off the gas would kick the rear end out into a slide. The winter tires solved 90% of it, I do still experience the regen slide once in awhile and sometimes a RWD kick out from start but its manageable. If I was driving in real bad winter conditions a lot, I’d probably get them, but in the mid-west we have a few bad storms a year, not nightly snow. OP probably similar to my conditions, however I don’t know if you get lake effect in Toronto. I’ve come to the conclusion the car is never going to drive like any modern SUV/Truck in snow, you have to baby it way more, it‘s more like driving an entry level sports car like a mustang.
Interesting. My rear end dlid out to the right in heavy rain. Wonder if wheel sensing, regen, or traction control misinterpreted , or caused the hydroplaning. Car crashed at 65mph and probably totaled. Both passengers banged up. Saw a video of another model Y lose control in exact same manner. Any thoughts, anyone?

Interesting. My rear end dlid out to the right in heavy rain. Wonder if wheel sensing, regen, or traction control misinterpreted , or caused the hydroplaning. Car crashed at 65mph and probably totaled. Both passengers banged up. Saw a video of another model Y lose control in exact same manner. Any thoughts, anyone?

While going straight or going around a corner? How much tread on the tires? Hydroplaning can’t always be corrected with traction control - sometimes there is just too much water, too much speed and not enough tread depth to push the water away.

I hope everyone is okay and you’re able to get into another car without too long of a wait.

Reactions: nate704 and GtiMart
While going straight or going around a corner? How much tread on the tires? Hydroplaning can’t always be corrected with traction control - sometimes there is just too much water, too much speed and not enough tread depth to push the water away.

I hope everyone is okay and you’re able to get into another car without too long of a wait.
Also, using TACC (or any cruise control) when there is standing water on the road isn't necessarily a good idea.

Wow that sucks. Hope everyone recovered okay. Not saying it means anything but now that you mention it I believe i always slid out to the right/passenger side.

I'm very sorry to hear that, I hope everyone recovers well. In heavy rain, traction can be severely hampered, to the point where there's virtually no traction at all (hydroplaning). In such situations, whatever the cleverness of the system in the car, it will not gain any traction, there is none available. The only solution when traction is low is to go slower.

Reactions: Big Earl
I live in Quebec City where there's almost constant snow/ice in winter, well under freezing all the time. I have good snow tires though. I don't drive my car gently. In fact, I can press the accelerator as hard as I want, the car reduces power so the car never spins out of control. It reduces it so much that it doesn't even let me have a bit of fun. The back never slips by more than an inch or two unless I really try to do a scandinavian flick... even then, it's always very controlled.
I think this just needs a bit of getting used to. When people are used to be on rails, a couple of inches of back slip might feel like losing control... but it's not.
Helpful information! I live right below you in Maine and was wondering.

Reactions: GtiMart
Buy top quality tires only and maintain them well. Also, don't try to push your luck wearing down the tires down to the point where you will loose traction constantly, especially on the wet road surface.
Just don't expect the car to handle every situation well with your bald tires.