Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking on icy roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Y, so can't turn it off. The regen in my case was partially disabled, maybe 3 dots, so not really apples to apples, if I'm honest (cold outside, SOC about 60%).

But really, in normal snow driving, you learn in about 100 ft how to feather the regen with your foot, so you can add as much as you want any time, from 0- full regen.

Really, if you're complaining that when you lift off suddenly on an icy downhill corner at 35, and the car gets squirrely, you're driving wrong. That's like saying your manual awd car got too loose when you downshifted from 3rd to 1st at 35 in the same corner. We would all point and laugh.

Don't lift suddenly in icy conditions. Feather it as needed.

Our previous cars since 2005 have been an 05 Outback, 12 Outback, 14 Outback, and an 04 Forester we had the whole time too, still have it. All with Blizzack snow tires, snow on the ground from Nov to April (on and off).

Besides the Y, Subarus are hands down the best snow cars, IMO. Friend of mine also previously a Subaru fanatic, has had his Y for 3 years in Spokane (maybe the first one here). He says the same thing.
I think you said your experience was with good snow tires (good on you for using them). With respect, you may not be experiencing the limits of traction very much. You're right, of course, that feathering the accelerator can prevent the rear-wheel slip...but you have to feather because the regen brake force distribution is wrong. Or, put another way, if the regen brake force was better distributed (as in is with off-road assist) you could get more regenerative braking force and control before the tires slip. To me, that's just better performance, period.

So yes, it is definitely a good idea to drive smoothly in the snow, and that will certainly minimize slips...but Tesla could make their cars perform much better in the snow (and tolerate stronger regen braking) if they had a traction mode that got the regen brake force distribution more even between front and rear. And, bonus, folks who pull their foot off the accelerator in a dicey situation (which is an ingrained and pretty sensible intuition) would not be fishtailing around.

Incidentally, I think I heard somewhere that the gearing between the motor and wheels is different front/rear, and that Tesla is trying to use the most efficient effective gear ratio by changing the blend between front and rear torque for both acceleration and braking. That's fine when traction is not an issue, but we NEED a mode that limits that rear-wheel bias for regen braking but doesn't defeat traction control (as off-road assist does).

Still waiting for our first snow here with the Model Y. How well does the MY recover on its own when regen kicks in and causes rear wheels to lock up? In that half second as mentioned above before the car realizes it’s sliding and stops regen does it seem unsafe or reasonably well controlled? Just wondering which approach is safer overall, disabling regen or just learning to work with the car as is.
If you have this problem, one solution is Off-Road Assist, which evens out the torque front/rear for both drive and regen braking. Unfortunately, it also defeats traction control, cruise, and autopilot (or rather it is defeated by engaging cruise or autopilot).

Reactions: rjpjnk
Ice storm here in Chicago the last 24hrs. First time driving on legitimate icy freeway 80/94 in IN & IL in my 2022 M3LR.

Unfortunately can confirm (atleast for me) that the regen braking was absolutely an issue on the ice today. Normally in a ICE vehicle the coasting on icy roads avoids any sort of lock up or loss of traction. When you hit the brakes is when you tend to lose control and start to slide on ice and get sideways. If I could, I would choose to turn regen braking off in icy conditions after today. Wasn’t a comfortable drive in icy Midwest roads.
You might find Off-Road Assist helpful in these situations. Good luck!

If you have this problem, one solution is Off-Road Assist, which evens out the torque front/rear for both drive and regen braking. Unfortunately, it also defeats traction control, cruise, and autopilot (or rather it is defeated by engaging cruise or autopilot).
Defeating traction control is useful in the snow. Losing CC/TACC/Autosteer seems totally fine to me, do you really want to use those in the snow?

Btw is Off-Road Assist only for the Y? (And X?) I haven't come across it in my 3 or old S, nor in any S loaners. It sounds perfect for the snow. Since I have an M3P I'm planning to use Track Mode in the snow, which I think will work very well, but it's a little clunky having to put the car in Park to enable Track Mode, and it always spins up the fans for max cooling, which seems totally unnecessary for winter snow driving. That's why I've been following this thread for other options...

Reactions: Duncan Parks
Defeating traction control is useful in the snow. Losing CC/TACC/Autosteer seems totally fine to me, do you really want to use those in the snow?

Btw is Off-Road Assist only for the Y? (And X?) I haven't come across it in my 3 or old S, nor in any S loaners. It sounds perfect for the snow. Since I have an M3P I'm planning to use Track Mode in the snow, which I think will work very well, but it's a little clunky having to put the car in Park to enable Track Mode, and it always spins up the fans for max cooling, which seems totally unnecessary for winter snow driving. That's why I've been following this thread for other options...
For sure. I certainly don't trust autosteer to find the lane lines in the snow! However, I think many drivers would be well-served by traction control, especially if they are new to snow or just jumpy or reactive.

On the MY, Off-Road Assist is with Slip Start in the "Pedals and Steering" submenu on the holiday build. It used to be in the "Driving" menu (after pressing the car icon) if that's your UI.

@Duncan Parks ... I had the old S with the option to disable TC and i tried it a couple times and it was very easy (too easy / scary) to break the back end loose.. so i guess im scared to try the off-road assist in the Y even though ive def. experienced the loose backend on regen (experienced it in the S too... snow tires def. helped, though)

i guess i need to find an icy parking lot this winter and test it out

Last edited:
@Duncan Parks ... I had the old S with the option to disable TC and i tried it a couple times and it was very easy (too easy / scary) to break the back end loose.. so i guess im scared to try the off-road assist in the Y even though ive def. experienced the loose backend on regen (experienced it in the S too... snow tires def. helped, though)

I'm not sure what that old mode did. On the Y there is Slip Start (which just defeats traction control) and Off-Road Assist, which also moves drive and regen braking force more forward/neutral.

I'm not sure what that old mode did. On the Y there is Slip Start (which just defeats traction control) and Off-Road Assist, which also moves drive and regen braking force more forward/neutral.
wait so if i just do off-road assist i should still have traction control?

the old S had the option to disable TC so u could spin the tires at will especially useful if youre about to get a new set of tires :)

My experience trying Off-Road Assist on a snowy car park was that the reduced traction control definitely made the car drift a lot more when cornering, as compared to regular mode when it barely drifts at all. Quite entertaining, but because of this personally I wouldn’t use it on, say, a twisting mountain road.

My experience trying Off-Road Assist on a snowy car park was that the reduced traction control definitely made the car drift a lot more when cornering, as compared to regular mode when it barely drifts at all. Quite entertaining, but because of this personally I wouldn’t use it on, say, a twisting mountain road.
Did you feel like something about the front:rear power distribution caused that? Or just that Off-Road Assist let you apply extra acceleration, thus you could choose (optional, up to your right foot) if you want to give it extra juice and get sliding?

Reactions: mikemarmar
We finally got a good dump of snow here and I found that chill mode had me fishtailing a lot less driving around town. I tried off road assist but the loss of traction control was noticeable and a showstopper.
I tried off road assist but didn't notice the loss of traction control (aside from the yellow warning)... Did you notice on acceleration or hard regeneration?

I noticed it seemed to make the car slower which is fine I guess

I tried off road assist but didn't notice the loss of traction control (aside from the yellow warning)... Did you notice on acceleration or hard regeneration?

I noticed it seemed to make the car slower which is fine I guess
defiinitely makes the car slower but when the roads are that bad you are slow anyways. talking about doing 60 in an 80 zone. off road assist feels like it giving even power to all wheels instead of too much to the back wheels?

defiinitely makes the car slower but when the roads are that bad you are slow anyways. talking about doing 60 in an 80 zone. off road assist feels like it giving even power to all wheels instead of too much to the back wheels?
is that a question or a statement? i dunno myself i havent gotten up to 60 on the snow yet ... probably never will.. im just trying to figure out the best setting(s) for heading up to the mountains without dying

After a few more trips up the canyons, my protocol is:
  • Very low speed (getting in and out of deeper snow in parking spots): Try first in normal settings, if that fails try Off-Road assist or slip-start.
  • low to medium speed (under 35mph, surface roads, canyon roads, snow roads): Normal settings, maybe turn on chill mode but not a big deal
  • higher speed (35 - 50mph, highway): Chill mode, disable regen entirely
  • high speed (over 50mph): Don't

Reactions: boulder.dude
After a few more trips up the canyons, my protocol is:
  • Very low speed (getting in and out of deeper snow in parking spots): Try first in normal settings, if that fails try Off-Road assist or slip-start.
  • low to medium speed (under 35mph, surface roads, canyon roads, snow roads): Normal settings, maybe turn on chill mode but not a big deal
  • higher speed (35 - 50mph, highway): Chill mode, disable regen entirely
  • high speed (over 50mph): Don't
do you have the SEXY buttons to disable regen??

Reactions: DrGriz