Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking on icy roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure there are many cars that achieve good brake blending. From memory, all the reviews I had listened on youtube mentioned some bad feeling with cars that use brake blending. It must be really difficult to do well. MAybe recent EVs have achieved it?
I assume you are talking about the recent brake blending Tesla released that blends mechanical and Regen. We turned it on as soon as it became available a few months ago, and have never looked back. Seamless as far as I can tell. I do wonder how it integrates into the loss of control on icy roads as are being discussed. Haven't had a chance to find out. Don't want to test it!

Reactions: Pianewman
GM engineered blended braking into the Chevrolet Volt. This system worked well except when driving on hard packed snow or ice, especially when descending a hill. If either one of the front drive wheels lost traction then regenerative braking was instantly disabled. For a split second it seemed like the Volt had no brakes, until the friction brakes engaged.

I was talking about other cars, like the Volt that @jcanoe described (thanks). You are correct @DrGriz , Tesla recently added this. It's not brake blending in the traditional sense which I believe is: user presses brake pedal, car starts by using regen first then adds friction brakes once regen is maxed out. This is what someone suggested here, no one-pedal driving (no auto regen), only the brake pedal does the slowing down. The blend point and the feedback in the pedal seems problematic as it has to feel totally linear. What happens when wheels start slipping is another issue as the Volt had.

The Tesla now automatically applies friction brakes to compensate for the lack of regen. That is probably easier as the driver doesn't have a foot on the brake pedal during that time. When you do press the brake pedal, it feels much firmer initially (I've tried it) which is bad. I have not experimented this auto-friction brakes on slippery surfaces but I would expect it is handled by the abs.

Reactions: jcanoe and DrGriz
Subaru traction control does direction correction. It's just called something else, but it works the same. It corrects yaw. It's amazing.

"In simple terms, Subaru Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) is a form of electronic stability control. This advanced active safety system utilizes a network of sensors to monitor wheel speed, steering wheel position, yaw rate and lateral acceleration. If the sensors detect that the vehicle is not moving in the intended direction, the system will take steps to try to correct the situation."

-From Subaru.

I know good handling in the snow. Our Y is amazing too.

Subaru traction control does direction correction. It's just called something else, but it works the same. It corrects yaw. It's amazing.

"In simple terms, Subaru Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) is a form of electronic stability control. This advanced active safety system utilizes a network of sensors to monitor wheel speed, steering wheel position, yaw rate and lateral acceleration. If the sensors detect that the vehicle is not moving in the intended direction, the system will take steps to try to correct the situation."

-From Subaru.

Sounds to me our fellow Norwegian member needs learn how to drive and feathery his Y in the winter.. no car will handle well if you hit the rear brakes (like an old handbrake) on ice

Sounds to me our fellow Norwegian member needs learn how to drive and feathery his Y in the winter.. no car will handle well if you hit the rear brakes (like an old handbrake) on ice
Feathering is no option when a moose suddenly enters the road in front of you. That was my point all the way. My oldest saab give me the full breaking and steering capability at the same time. No time wasted, and full control.

-From Subaru.

VDC is ESP. TCS is not.

Reactions: dzajic
One thing underlying all the discussion in this thread: are you driving too fast for your tires, or not? Slow down.

On the ice, the first thing I do, wherever I am, is test the conditions. Going slow, away from anyone, I hit the brakes hard, hit the go pedal hard a couple times, learn how much traction there is. Then I drive appropriately.

You can't just go drive like it's dry and expect the car to save you when you have an emergency.

I am always able to do an e stop without losing control. I always drive by a lot of cars in the ditch on the first snowy days of the season.

I have in all my of my 33years driving, never had any accidents, or been in the ditch, or driven into a snowbank. So I am quite cautious, not pushing over the limits. Hope stay at zero incidents in the tesla too.
The automatic high beam had a nice update recently. If they would give me a lazy-mode with symmetric acceleration and ultra low regen for icy or slippery conditions I would probably be happy.

I have in all my of my 33years driving, never had any accidents, or been in the ditch, or driven into a snowbank. So I am quite cautious, not pushing over the limits. Hope stay at zero incidents in the tesla too.
The automatic high beam had a nice update recently. If they would give me a lazy-mode with symmetric acceleration and ultra low regen for icy or slippery conditions I would probably be happy.
I agree, this would be a great update.

No, regen completely cutting when wheels slip is not he solution. Other EVs do that and it's unsettling. You expect regen and suddenly the car doesn't slow down at all.
I had an opportunity to test this the other day. Please feel free to correct me if my perceptions are wrong.

Battery fully warmed up, so no blended brake in the skinny pedal. Slick conditions, so I was driving slowly, maybe 30-35 in a 45 MPH. About 600 yards before the turnoff to my home there's the crest of a hill (where sun exposure made things slicker than the climb up the other side), and I am heading down a gentle slope to the turnoff. There was a vehicle maybe 300 yards in front of me as well, so again, cautious.

I began to slow down by feathering the skinny pedal and at about 25 mph, there was no more feathering to be had. Lifted my foot off and the car continued straight without further slowing. My thought was that regen had been turned off at that point. I used the mechanical brake to slow down further to safely make the turn.

Of course, I have no idea what the wheels were doing while I was floating straight down the road at 25mph no pedal pressed for those few seconds. It felt weird, because normally I would have continued slowing.

Anyway, just one anecdotal experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Headache and OxBrew
That is weird. When I feel the regen lower/cut because of wheels slipping, it comes back at least partly pretty quickly. Limited regen can sometimes feel like no regen though. I can look at ScanMyTesla when that happens so I see some regen from both my motors. I presume your model Y is dual motor? Otherwise with a single motor it probably feels really weak.

Reactions: Headache and DrGriz
That is weird. When I feel the regen lower/cut because of wheels slipping, it comes back at least partly pretty quickly. Limited regen can sometimes feel like no regen though. I can look at ScanMyTesla when that happens so I see some regen from both my motors. I presume your model Y is dual motor? Otherwise with a single motor it probably feels really weak.
Yes. Dual motor.
Maybe I should get Scan My Tesla to see what is actually going on.