TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Regenerative Braking Problematic For Other Drivers?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Andyw2100, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

It would surprise me if this hasn't been discussed before, but I did some searches, and wasn't able to find anything. So I apologize if this has been asked about frequently.

I've never driven a Tesla, but it sounds like the regenerative braking can really slow the car down without actually using the brakes. So if we're cruising down the highway at, say, 65, and cars are stopping in front of us, and we begin to stop by letting up on the accelerator (or whatever the "gas" pedal is called), is this a potential problem for the vehicle behind us who isn't going to see our brake lights because we are slowing down without actually applying the brakes?

Thanks!

2. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

The Model S turns the brake lights on when a sufficient amount of regen occurs.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Not a problem. When you lift your foot off the "go pedal" and the car slows significantly the brake lights come on even though you have not touched the brake pedal.

Tesla has that all figured out.

Go get a test drive. It will forever change how you think about cars.

4. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

No, not a problem because the Model S automatically turns on its brake lights when it senses deceleration.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

You can see how it works by watching the camera at night. It's actually a good system because it doesn't light up for just a bit of slowing, only when there is enough slowing force do the brake lights show.

6. Andyw2100

Thanks very much, everyone. I feel better now.

I actually have a P85D ordered, even though I have not had a test drive. I live pretty far from any dealerships. I do have a test drive scheduled for next month, when I'm going to be near a gallery location. I'm pretty sure that will take place before my car is delivered.

Thanks for the info.I knew there had to be a logical answer!

7. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

#7 andrewket, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    You're going to want to watch the use of the term 'dealership'. Tesla doesn't have ANY dealerships, franchised or otherwise. All the galleries and stores are owned by Tesla Motors. It's the source of a fairly large battle right now:

Free Markets? Tesla Battles Car Dealers Over Right To Sell Cars - Forbes

8. tliving

tliving Member

After driving the Model S for a while you'll never want to go back to the "old way" of using brakes. I LOVE the single pedal driving and generally only use the brake at stop lights/signs.

9. Andyw2100

Yes, thank you.

I was posting quickly, and should have been more careful with my words. I am aware of the fact that the Tesla stores are owned by Tesla, and that the Gallery location where I will be seeing the car in NJ can't sell cars at all. I should have used the word "stores" or "showrooms" instead.

10. CatB

CatB Member

No worries, we know what you meant. Most of us are just so happy with the non-dealer experience (and so frustrated with the protectionist shenanigans of dealer lobbyists) that we cringe at the word.
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase :)

11. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Active Member

Another way to see brake lights triggered on certain level of regen is to put a charging screen up on the center display - it shows picture of the car with the brake light strip at the top of rear glass. The strip shown on the screen is used as an indicator and lights up indicating when the brake lights are on.

12. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I drove an ICE for the first time since getting my S85 in April...it felt weird. Having to press on the brake so often, and not automatically slowing down when releasing the accelerator just seemed unnatural. It has made me remember to appreciate the single pedal driving. Like you, I'm use to touching the brake pedal only at stop signs or lights, and generally going less than 5 km/hr. If I am going faster than that, I know I should have regen'd sooner.

13. caddieo

caddieo Member

Ditto. Almost rear-ended another car because I was slow to get on the brakes of my ICE.

14. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

As I have said on other threads, I just tell other drivers about regen and that the Model S drives like it is always in 2nd gear. Most who understand a little of how a car works, and almost all who know how to drive a standard transmission get it immediately.

15. Ed Chan

Ed Chan Member

Tesla's regen has made me a horribly inefficient ICE driver :/. I can't judge coasting our lexus at all anymore and am now a much heavier beaker...

16. taurusking

taurusking Member

I agree I was driving my wife's car and thought the car would come to a stop using regenerative braking but did not realize until I came too close to the stop sign ....luckily there was no other car in the vicinity...