Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking Reduced on 2019.5.4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else noticed the regenerative braking isn't as strong as it used to be? Ever since I upgraded to 2019.5.4 my car feels like it doesn't slow as quickly as it used to (setting is on standard). I'm currently on 2019.5.15 and it still feels like I'm using the brakes more than I used to because my M3 didn't slow down quick enough.

Anyone else?

Reactions: MattUNI
Hi all, I'm in Toronto Canada and am on version 2019.8.5. I've been noticing the "Regenerative braking limited" message appear briefly the past few days and disappears once I get moving. However, today with a temperature of approx 10 C (50 F), it came on and stayed on. It was a short trip mind you, only 1.6 km (1 mile), but was a surprise to me. The battery was at about 80%, so not so full that it would affect braking. And the temp not that cold ... normally I would only see limited regen messages with the temp down around freezing. In spite of the message however, the car seemed to behave as though normal regen was still in effect. I could feel no difference and the green bar appeared when I backed off the accelerator. When I got home I did a Power Off and then restarted by pressing the brake pedal, and the message was gone. I haven't called service as yet, but may after the long weekend if I don't find any answers. My only guesses right now, for my case, are either a software update issue, or perhaps a power availability calibration issue due to a lot of short trips and being parked for 3 months (while away over the winter) out of the 6 months I've owned it. Loving the car though and have had no other issues so far. I don't recall the exact date I received update 2019.8.5, but it may have been after that.

@Options, I also noticed a change in behaviour of the auto wiper mode. When it rained today they initially came on fairly aggressively (as if calibrating themselves), and then calmed down to an appropriate pace for the amount of rain. They seemed to operate better at that point. I haven't seen that before ... hoping the initial aggressive period isn't going to be ongoing.

Anybody else noticed the regenerative braking isn't as strong as it used to be? Ever since I upgraded to 2019.5.4 my car feels like it doesn't slow as quickly as it used to (setting is on standard). I'm currently on 2019.5.15 and it still feels like I'm using the brakes more than I used to because my M3 didn't slow down quick enough.

Anyone else?
This has occurred over the last 1-2 months for my Tesla S