Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking - Safety issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes. it is software setting but it requires hardware support. so it is for saving money.
What additional hardware support? The Tesla Model Y retains Standard regenerative braking even though the option for Low regenerative braking was removed from later production vehicles. The same drive unit (the rear drive unit) performs the regenerative braking under almost all conditions.

What additional hardware support? The Tesla Model Y retains Standard regenerative braking even though the option for Low regenerative braking was removed from later production vehicles. The same drive unit (the rear drive unit) performs the regenerative braking under almost all conditions.
Indeed it's purely software. Easily explained by the vehicle limiting regen in case the battery is too cold.

@tlm4200 I get what you’re saying, I almost forget to turn off my wife’s care whenever I drive it. When I first got the Tesla and getting used to Hold mode I almost drove though a light because my muscle memory has me push the break in harder/verify it’s depressed whenever I look away like at my phone. Doesn’t work great with your foot on the gas pedal. As others have said you just gotta get used to it. But having the option that wouldn’t hurt anyone would be nice.

@jcanoe‘s explanation of icy driving is spot on and worries me since I‘ve barely seen cold weather with the car yet. I hope they give us the option. And while they’re at it give acceleration boost cars sport/standard/comfort option.