Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new MYP just received its first SW update (going from 2022.15 to 2022.24.5. I was expecting to receive the regenerative braking update that will utilize the friction brakes to simulate regenerative braking when it isn’t available. But it doesn’t appear to have been included. Not showing in release notes nor is it an option in settings.

Is the capability not available for new MYPs?

Possibly it was included in 22.16, which you seemed to have skipped. I know I saw it on my updates recently. Like a lot of updates, I doubt there's setting for it.

1661565910637.png

My new MYP just received its first SW update (going from 2022.15 to 2022.24.5. I was expecting to receive the regenerative braking update that will utilize the friction brakes to simulate regenerative braking when it isn’t available. But it doesn’t appear to have been included. Not showing in release notes nor is it an option in settings.

Is the capability not available for new MYPs?
It first came out for 3/Y in 2022.16.3 and added S/X support in 2022.24.

The rollout is only for specific hardware configurations. Tesla does this with new features occasionally while they test/troubleshoot/add support.

It will likely rollout to all in a future TBD update.

If/When you get it: To enable, tap Controls > Pedals & Steering > Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited.

Source

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive
I have it in 2022.24.5 in my 2021 MYLR. There is a slider on the Pedals screen that you have to slide to activate the feature.

The advantage is when I first leave the house in the morning with a full charge (i.e. charge amount = charge limit). Before this feature the regen wouldn't kick-in because the battery was at its charge limit (and there was a message on the screen telling me so). So I'd have to actually use the brake pedal. With this feature, one-pedal driving works even when fully charged.

Also, occasionally exercising the brakes is a good thing. With one-pedal driving, they don't get used very much.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and Dennisis
I have it in 2022.24.5 in my 2021 MYLR. There is a slider on the Pedals screen that you have to slide to activate the feature.

The advantage is when I first leave the house in the morning with a full charge (i.e. charge amount = charge limit). Before this feature the regen wouldn't kick-in because the battery was at its charge limit (and there was a message on the screen telling me so). So I'd have to actually use the brake pedal. With this feature, one-pedal driving works even when fully charged.

Also, occasionally exercising the brakes is a good thing. With one-pedal driving, they don't get used very much.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
Was your charge limit set to 100? I’ve never seen this with a charge limit of 80% or even 90% - there’s no reason the car wouldn’t be able to do regen at those percentages.

Was your charge limit set to 100? I’ve never seen this with a charge limit of 80% or even 90% - there’s no reason the car wouldn’t be able to do regen at those percentages.

My charge limit is set to 80%. Before this new option, it would popup the limited-regen warning in the lower-left corner of the screen. Seems that it thinks that my setting of 80% was a hard limit and wouldn't regen above that. They should have just let it creep above that a tad, but apparently not.

So this brake+regen technique seems fine. At least now the pedal always behaves the same way with one-pedal driving. Haven't seen any of the limited-regen warnings since the update enabled the brakes a couple versions ago...

Scott

--

Not liking the softening of the regen in general on my first software update. I had just gotten used to how the more aggressive regen drove but now I find myself having to use the brake much more often to stop.Kind of a dangerous sudden switch, I believe. I guess the company decided it needed more revenue from brake jobs?

Reactions: NanaimoMY and NYMY
Not liking the softening of the regen in general on my first software update. I had just gotten used to how the more aggressive regen drove but now I find myself having to use the brake much more often to stop.Kind of a dangerous sudden switch, I believe. I guess the company decided it needed more revenue from brake jobs?
Agreed - I almost never needed brakes before. Now I need them on every drive.

Reactions: HellsKitchen