Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking temporarily reduced message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok if tried to do a search and it relates to cold weather , I think.

My car has 172 miles on the clock and I get this message most times I get in the car. My commute is 11 miles each way and max regen is very intermittent. Is this normal? It was 10 degrees when leaving work today with 86% charge. Mid journey it worked but then not??

My car has 172 miles on the clock and I get this message most times I get in the car. My commute is 11 miles each way and max regen is very intermittent. Is this normal? It was 10 degrees when leaving work today with 86% charge. Mid journey it worked but then not??
Yes. That's normal. It's reduced in cold winter until the battery is warmed up. It's also reduced when the battery is getting full.

Normally see this when the battery is 100%. Took my M3LR to 100% the other day for a long trip and got the warning then. We also see it in the wife’s MG ZS when that is at 100%. Regen is generally available again after a few minutes of driving off.

Reactions: Fury1
I’ve had my MYLR for two weeks here in SoCal and I have gotten that message several times. It’s by no means cold here. In the 50’s, low 60’s during the day. Charge is at 80% and I don’t notice any reduction in regen braking, just the pop up.
I'm still getting to grips with mine as it still has less than 600 miles on the clock, I have been running the battery down and staying between 25-70 %, I don't seem to get the message any longer but on the occasion I have had to brake as the car hasn't started to slow with my foot fully off the accelerator.

I think the car has mood swings :)

• Funny
Reactions: flstcgranucci
I'm in the California Bay Area, and park my Model 3 in a garage at night. It's usually above freezing outside, and I schedule the precondition in the morning before leaving, plus charge to 85%. Yet looking at the notifications, I see a message sometimes twice on the way to work, often 20 minutes or more after leaving. I also see it a lot in the afternoon, when it much warmer. My wife drives the car for her commute, and she hasn't noticed any reduction, but she might not.

I got this "regenerative braking temporarily reduced" message this morning for the 1st time. I am in New Jersey and the temp was below 50 degrees this AM. I usually leave at about 7am but left a bit earlier. Does this have to do with "preconditioning time"? After a few minutes the message went away.

I have a MYLR (2022- 3k miles) and for the last 2 weeks have been getting the same “regenerative braking temporarily reduced” message once or twice a trip. My car has been pre-conditioned, not charged above 90%, and the ambient temps have been in the upper 60’s.
Anybody with a thought or assumption or actual knowledge about this?

I have a MYLR (2022- 3k miles) and for the last 2 weeks have been getting the same “regenerative braking temporarily reduced” message once or twice a trip. My car has been pre-conditioned, not charged above 90%, and the ambient temps have been in the upper 60’s.
Anybody with a thought or assumption or actual knowledge about this?

There's a third condition that prevents regen, and that's regen overload. It happens when going down a long hill, where regen is constant for a mile or two, and basically the BMS will back of the charge level.
There is likely a temperature/charge level condition that impacts when this happens, but put all three together and rolling down a long hill at highish charge level and cold battery and the BMS just won't like to accept long periods of regen braking.