Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative braking will be limited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About half the time when I put the car in "D" I get the message "Regenerative Braking Will Be Limited" after a few minutes it goes away and for a while It doesn't really seem to work normal (I have selected the "Standard" mode). Anyone else see this? Any idea what it is trying to tell me? I looked in teh manual but haven't found any information. Thanks.

About half the time when I put the car in "D" I get the message "Regenerative Braking Will Be Limited" after a few minutes it goes away and for a while It doesn't really seem to work normal (I have selected the "Standard" mode). Anyone else see this? Any idea what it is trying to tell me? I looked in teh manual but haven't found any information. Thanks.
Yeah you are charging to 100%way to often

Your state of charge seems to be alright. It only really starts to limit regen past 94% (~291 miles). It most likely has to do with the temperature. When it's too cold, it'll limit regen at first until it can warm up.
Regen begins being limited for me by 85% (I haven't nailed down the exact number yet, since I don't have Teslafi and don't see how you can set by exact percentage number otherwise it's going to take a lot of futzing to find it). Even with ambient temp in the 80F's. It's really modest, nearly unnoticeable when driving, but there's a few dots on the left side of the screen under the 'PRND'.

EDIT: Well I think it was 85%, definitely somewhere in the 80's because I thought "huh, wasn't expecting that" but I didn't write down the number, just made a mental note of "I should probably try find the exact number some time".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors and Pkmmte
Anyone figure out why REGEN is just about gone due to the cold?
Because the battery is too cold to accept regen charge, don't ask me to explain the science :) I am sure someone else has a dissertation on prior threads.

To combat limited regen I use scheduled charging for 5:30 am and set the cap to 80%. Each morning when I leave home around 7 am the battery is warmed up and ready to go with full regen. However, sitting outside at work the battery will get cold soaked and regen is limited, how limited depends on how cold it is and how long it sits idle. It was 29 degrees in my garage this morning and all was well. At 22 degrees most of the day the battery got cold enough that regen was limited for my entire (short) commute of 7 miles.

@OP, I concur that your regen limits are due to ambient/battery temps.

Because the battery is too cold to accept regen charge, don't ask me to explain the science :) I am sure someone else has a dissertation on prior threads.

To combat limited regen I use scheduled charging for 5:30 am and set the cap to 80%. Each morning when I leave home around 7 am the battery is warmed up and ready to go with full regen. However, sitting outside at work the battery will get cold soaked and regen is limited, how limited depends on how cold it is and how long it sits idle. It was 29 degrees in my garage this morning and all was well. At 22 degrees most of the day the battery got cold enough that regen was limited for my entire (short) commute of 7 miles.

@OP, I concur that your regen limits are due to ambient/battery temps.

That makes no sense since the battery can take a 50kwh charge at a SuperCharger. Is regen producing more than 50kwh?

Reactions: Pkmmte
Your state of charge seems to be alright. It only really starts to limit regen past 94% (~291 miles). It most likely has to do with the temperature. When it's too cold, it'll limit regen at first until it can warm up.

I have a P3D+ and I've noticed that regen is limited every morning. I charge to 90% every night and whenever I get into my car I have the dotted line. I have a 20 mile commute and even as I pull into the lot at work I don't have full regen back.

I don't think ambient air temps are the issue, as I had this problem in SoCal when the temps were in the 80's with overnight lows in the 65-75 range. I called Tesla and they told me it was normal, but I've driven a Model S for 4 years and never had regen limiting unless it was dead of (SoCal) winter cold (like overnight 40 degree weather).

Anyone else seeing something similar?

cs81ePk.jpg

6LxB9h7.jpg

Last edited:
I have a P3D+ and I've noticed that regen is limited every morning. I charge to 90% every night and whenever I get into my car I have the dotted line. I have a 20 mile commute and even as I pull into the lot at work I don't have full regen back.

I don't think ambient air temps are the issue, as I had this problem in SoCal when the temps were in the 80's with overnight lows in the 65-75 range. I called Tesla and they told me it was normal, but I've driven a Model S for 4 years and never had regen limiting unless it was dead of (SoCal) winter cold (like overnight 40 degree weather).

Anyone else seeing something similar?

cs81ePk.jpg

6LxB9h7.jpg
Regen is limited until around 84% or 85% SoC at that temp.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ and outdoors