TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Regenerative Braking

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Buggle, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Buggle

Buggle Member

What are people's thoughts on this? I've mind set to light (or whatever they call it), cause I find the heavy mode to be too drastic a change to driving feel. The second you get off the accelerator the car slows right down. So I'm wondering -- how much does going from heavy regen to light regen affect range? Is this effect lessened or increased by the percentages of city/highway driving one does?

I'm just wondering if I should bite the bullet and get used to the heavy mode if it really is that much more efficient.

2. hacer

hacer Member

In the long run you will enjoy driving more when you learn to control the regen with graded pedal force. It does make a difference (maybe 10%) in city driving if you use friction brakes a lot while the car is still above 5 mph.

• Like x 3
  3. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

Leave it on what you call "heavy" for about two weeks, get used to modulating your foot more on that setting and in two weeks time you won't ever be thinking of it. I kept it default to increase my efficiency and range, and use less mechanical breaks over time.

• Like x 3
  4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Just remember that it's not an all or nothing setting. The amount of regen depends on how far you release the accelerator pedal. I find it to be just right and would never use the lower setting. The almost one pedal driving that the regen allows is really great.

5. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I love the normal regen. Took a day and I’m not looking back.

6. Buggle

Buggle Member

Didn't realize that. I'll give it another shot, thanks for the thoughts guys.

• Like x 1
  7. Bluewish

Bluewish Member

Agree. I actually only use my brake at red light.

• Like x 1
  8. jjtsl

jjtsl Member

Same here! First time I used it, it was a jerky ride, but after that, I really love it as I now learnt to gradually release the accelerator to control speed. Pretty much 1 pedal driving except when coming to complete stop.

9. pmich80

pmich80 Between U and me I'm giddy waitin' for the Model ≡

It takes a bit of getting used to. I was actually getting a bit nauseous the first few days (granted i was very sick too) but now i rely on it to keep my range up.

10. Falkirk

Falkirk Member

I had a false error show up a few times and one of them is "no regenerative braking". Had to keep driving and my consumption was 250 Wh/km compared to typically for the same route of about 150 Wh/km. That was city driving so lots of stop and go which is where the regenerative braking helps so much.

• Informative x 1
  11. Need

Need Active Member

My wife got used to the regen brake very quickly. So one day I got a call in the middle of work from her saying that the car is not working. She said the car was not slowing down when she release the accel pedal. It was because she charged to 100% the night before preparing for a long trip that morning. Sure enough the regen brake came back after she drove about 30 to 40 miles.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Member

It definitely takes some getting used to. "Standard" is very aggressive compared to the coasting one gets from an automatic ICE vehicle. Get a few hundred kms behind the wheel and your mind and body will adapt :)

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Love the standard regen. Like driving a standard transmission car in 1st gear all the time. One-pedal driving all the time. Really great in stop-and-go traffic.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  14. akidesir

akidesir Member

Just make sure during winter time to use low regen braking otherwise you may find yourself spinning out in the snowy/icy road conditions

15. Buggle

Buggle Member

why?

16. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

I used to think that too but having driven a few times in snow and ice the car handles it just fine. I do have decent winter tyres mind you.

17. Buggle

Buggle Member

You're from Vancouver. What winter driving lol? Your job take you to the mountains?

• Funny x 1
  18. Koflach

Koflach Member

for the 5 days a year we get snow, it's nice to have the snow tires. if you travel to the interior though, it's legit winter driving.

19. Buggle

Buggle Member

No I know, I've driven from Calgary to Vancouver a couple times, we had real snow in the mountains in late March. I'm just saying tho -- heavy regen working for you in Vancouver is not remotely the same thing as heavy regen working for a guy in Montreal or Toronto.

• Like x 1
  20. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Fair enough lol, I’m not actually from Vancouver; just hang my hat here now. Have spent most of my life in Ontario and Alberta so do know what winter is.

The S has spent some time in the BC interior in quite wintery conditions. I’ve never had or felt the situation where I needed to take the regen off standard mode there.