Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people's thoughts on this? I've mind set to light (or whatever they call it), cause I find the heavy mode to be too drastic a change to driving feel. The second you get off the accelerator the car slows right down. So I'm wondering -- how much does going from heavy regen to light regen affect range? Is this effect lessened or increased by the percentages of city/highway driving one does?

I'm just wondering if I should bite the bullet and get used to the heavy mode if it really is that much more efficient.

Just remember that it's not an all or nothing setting. The amount of regen depends on how far you release the accelerator pedal. I find it to be just right and would never use the lower setting. The almost one pedal driving that the regen allows is really great.

It takes a bit of getting used to. I was actually getting a bit nauseous the first few days (granted i was very sick too) but now i rely on it to keep my range up.

I had a false error show up a few times and one of them is "no regenerative braking". Had to keep driving and my consumption was 250 Wh/km compared to typically for the same route of about 150 Wh/km. That was city driving so lots of stop and go which is where the regenerative braking helps so much.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
My wife got used to the regen brake very quickly. So one day I got a call in the middle of work from her saying that the car is not working. She said the car was not slowing down when she release the accel pedal. It was because she charged to 100% the night before preparing for a long trip that morning. Sure enough the regen brake came back after she drove about 30 to 40 miles.

for the 5 days a year we get snow, it's nice to have the snow tires. if you travel to the interior though, it's legit winter driving.

No I know, I've driven from Calgary to Vancouver a couple times, we had real snow in the mountains in late March. I'm just saying tho -- heavy regen working for you in Vancouver is not remotely the same thing as heavy regen working for a guy in Montreal or Toronto.

Reactions: Koflach
You're from Vancouver. What winter driving lol? Your job take you to the mountains?

Fair enough lol, I’m not actually from Vancouver; just hang my hat here now. Have spent most of my life in Ontario and Alberta so do know what winter is.

The S has spent some time in the BC interior in quite wintery conditions. I’ve never had or felt the situation where I needed to take the regen off standard mode there.