Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative breaking stuck on low after the last SW update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a SW update. I am on v10.1 (2019.40.2.1.xxxxx) and today morning I find it difficult to drive like when the battery is fully charged and the regen braking does not work. I am at 60% charge and still the regen braking is on low. I can feel it at low speeds but higher speeds when the foot is off the accelerator, I dont feel the car slowing down. I probably have used over a years worth of brake pads just on today's commute to work as I usually never have to use the brakes.
Has anyone else had this problem ?
Kim

Are you saying that the regen braking setting is stuck and won't let you change it? Or are you saying that the car feels as though it is not regen braking as much as it typically would?

If it is the latter, it is probably more related to outside temp and battery temp than anything else. If you see dashed yellow lines in the energy graph widget where you would normally see the regen braking, that means that your car has limited regen ability. This happens with colder ambient temperatures and will exist until the battery has a chance to warm up. Once your battery warms, full regen ability should be restored. But if your drives aren't long enough, you may never feel the full regen.

Is your display showing the yellow dashes at the bottom of your kWh meter?

If not, you need to take it into service, as something is probably broken.

If the yellow dashes are there, it appears Tesla significantly changed the regen limit algorithm in one of the updates. It is now regen limiting my car at much higher temperatures and for much longer times than previously.

The screen lets me change the regen mode I was just not feeling it. Yes it was a cold morning 47F. It started with the dashed lines but became solid after a few minutes of driving. when I switch regen between low and standard, I dont see a difference.

The screen lets me change the regen mode I was just not feeling it. Yes it was a cold morning 47F. It started with the dashed lines but became solid after a few minutes of driving. when I switch regen between low and standard, I dont see a difference.

Ah, if you are switching between low and standard when the yellow bar is solid and not feeling a change, then something is probably wrong and a service appt would be in order.

I have noticed this as well. Last winter it would have to be below 30-35F before I would notice that the Re-GEN braking was limited (yellow dashes) now it seems like if its under 55 degrees F. I'm sure other people in the colder parts of the states has seen this as well. I park my garage over night and I have it heated to at least 50-55 so that all the cars are not as cold in the AM. But the last two updates the car has been not Re-gen braking and some morning has almost caused issues.
Anyone else seeing this?

Zelectric, I am also seeing the same lack of regenerative breaking since I got my car last month. The weather has been consistently below 50 degrees. I only get full regen if I have recently charged the car.

I am starting my 5th winter with my S70D. The ambient temperature at which I begin to see restrictions on regenerative braking has always been about 50F. But when I say "begin to see," that means that there is partial restriction, not a full restriction.
One thing to keep in mind: If you are driving at, say, 9 AM and the air temperature is 50F, it was likely somewhat colder overnight, so the battery was probably cooled down to less than 50F if it sat outside all night. And once there is frost in the ground, the ground can be considerably colder than the air temperature. Since the battery sits quite close to the ground, it may get colder than the air if the ground has been cold for some time.

While it's sad to see anyone having this problem it's nice to see that I'm not alone. I picked up a new S a few days ago and regent is almost nonexistent. Lots of yellow dashes are the cause but even when kept in my heated garage on the charger they yellow dashes don't go away. However when I supercharge the dashes do go away and there's lots of regen.

I've reported this to the service center and they are going to look at it. (I see a new firmware released today. Maybe that will fix it?)

• Helpful
Reactions: Bill_75D
Guess what it fixed itself today. I know there was a SW change without me authorizing it as the battery charge went up to 92% ( I set it at 80%), spotify stopped working, the steering heater stopped working and regen braking started to work. The SW version remained the same from yesterday but the "navigation data" version had changed. I am sure something else was sneaked in as the behavior had changed this morning. I notice this type of behavior change only after a SW update. I am not sure I can trust the remote update system anymore.

Ah, if you are switching between low and standard when the yellow bar is solid and not feeling a change, then something is probably wrong and a service appt would be in order.

No, if he is already limited by temperature. Toggling the switch will do nothing.

Leave it on Standard and learn how the car works. There is nothing wrong.

Guess what it fixed itself today. I know there was a SW change without me authorizing it as the battery charge went up to 92% ( I set it at 80%), spotify stopped working, the steering heater stopped working and regen braking started to work. The SW version remained the same from yesterday but the "navigation data" version had changed. I am sure something else was sneaked in as the behavior had changed this morning. I notice this type of behavior change only after a SW update. I am not sure I can trust the remote update system anymore.

Nothing changed accept maybe nav data.
If you had a snow flake on the battery (do you know that that is, why it might be there, what will happen) some range will be locked up. When the battery warms up that range will come back.

Learn how your car works !! Watch YouTube, Read Manual, Read the forums.

Your car is running normal.

Nothing changed accept maybe nav data.
If you had a snow flake on the battery (do you know that that is, why it might be there, what will happen) some range will be locked up. When the battery warms up that range will come back.

Learn how your car works !! Watch YouTube, Read Manual, Read the forums.

Your car is running normal.

This is my second tesla and I have been driving teslas for years, and know exactly how it works. Its when it behaves unexpectedly these questions pop up. The temperature between yesterday and today has not changed by much. No snow here either. The regen did not come back even after the battery had warmed up. I am not stupid!

Reactions: Candleflame
I was traveling from Ouray Colorado, back to Farmington a week ago, and although I have range mode off, I was surprised for more than2 hours I did have limited regen. Never before it was like this. Almost at home, I finally got full Regen. Sit was cold, for sure, but it was unusual, though.

Even more I don't like that preheating the car does no longer preheat the battery, which is really stupid, but (seemingly?) a bug to be resolved...

Yeah, I totally understand it if its been sitting the parking lot all day and the regen is disabled. But being in an heated garage and after midnight charging schedule I'd think the battery would be warm for my morning commute. "Thus I'm relearning how the car works I guess" because it wasn't doing this last winter.