Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regenerative breaking stuck on low after the last SW update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was broken many upgrades ago, I be seen this issue since fall, when it got cold.
I did report it, not that Tesla cared to fix it.
Instead, we got 2019.40.2.2 with more nagging and crappy summon that requires near perfect GPS fix.
This sucks !

Anyone want to try opening their mind to a different perspective? It's possible the change was for battery health and reduction in degradation over time. Change doesn't have to be synonymous with something being broken. While Tesla is still a relatively young company it doesn't change things like this on a whim. While they may be terrible at communicating why these changes are made I have to believe the leading electric car manufacturer and battery development company in the world has a well thought out reason for this.

While I have been experiencing the same thing it's only been with temps below ~55 F and I have not noticed any change in energy use and thus range so I've just given Tesla the benefit of the doubt that they know more about the car than I do.

Reactions: PWlakewood
Yes! It is my car!. If they want to change something in the software they will have to tell me before what will be changed, and I need to have the option to choose if I want it or not. And I should have an option to go back to previous SW versions. I would really like to go back to V8, my car was working fine back then, and now it is almost unusable..

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne and Barry

Right, but I suspect that in many cases it is voice-to-text that is the culprit, not people's ignorance of how to spell "brake."
I usually spot check my dictated text messages before sending them, but sometimes miss some real dillies.
Yesterday I texted my sister about "wrapping" Christmas presents, but my Google voice keyboard gave me "rapping." Since "rapping" is the very last thing I would ever do, I left it in as a joke.

Anyone want to try opening their mind to a different perspective? It's possible the change was for battery health and reduction in degradation over time. Change doesn't have to be synonymous with something being broken. While Tesla is still a relatively young company it doesn't change things like this on a whim. While they may be terrible at communicating why these changes are made I have to believe the leading electric car manufacturer and battery development company in the world has a well thought out reason for this.

While I have been experiencing the same thing it's only been with temps below ~55 F and I have not noticed any change in energy use and thus range so I've just given Tesla the benefit of the doubt that they know more about the car than I do.
I agree with at least giving some thought for the chance that Tesla does know something (but evidently not how to communicate) but it is very frustrating when you cease being able to keep a handle on what is actually 'correct behaviour' as per the manufacturter. I also have seen the regen behaviour changes between 10 and 14 C with the car parked (allow for ground temp possibly lower than general ambient) and also allow a long time (hours) for battery temp to reach ambient.

Talk about battery pre-heat / cabin preconditionning is confusing me because I've yet to see a battery heating indication in car or app. I understand there have been some recent changes with that.

I've yet to see a battery heating indication in car or app. I understand there have been some recent changes with that.

you mean this one?
4DB79BC4-8974-476A-9278-D1223A9F3650.png

that was from a few weeks ago; don’t recall what update I was on.

Bingo! Thanks.

I'm assuming there has never been a battery temp indication (without using ODB / Teslascan etc)

Could you control battery pre-con, or did it come on automatically with cabin heat?

Thanks.

That is just climate control; I assume it was plugged in at the time...

As you can see I didn't necessarily want the cabin roasting, so I set the temp to lo. If I recall 16 degrees was the minimum setting.

It would be nice to just have a warm the battery setting independent of cabin climate.

There's a lot of misguided guessing as to the issue here.

The change in regen is part of the Tesla response to fires, software updates secretively changed regen capacity, and for many people also capped battery capacity and greatly reduced supercharging speeds. The consensus is that Tesla did this after identifying unexpected degradation of battery packs and higher risk of fires with the previous battery management software. These changes took place last spring for many people and it is continuing to spread throughout the fleet. It is the subject of a class action lawsuit that is currently in the early stages of arbitration. Many people are just noticing the regen issue because of the temperature change. For many people in cold climates, it essentially means you won't have regen in the winter.

I has the same problem after update. Gas padel was heavy and regen was slowing down the car more than usual. it fixed itself driving about 60 miles.
How you describe regen would be the opposite of what most people are describing. Reduced regen is (most likely) Tesla trying to minimise high current charging spikes (like regen braking produces) in cold weather. The yellow dashes and a warning on the instrument display tell you if you have any regen braking. With a cold battery and below around 10 deg C you will likely see little regen until you have driven for 30 minutes or longer.

Power output and therefore acceleration is also limited (but here I am only repeating what I have read) when the battery is cold, which I guess could cause your reported sensation of a 'heavy gas pedal'. At 40 deg F I have not noticed this on my Long Range.

after 2019.36 the battery warming icon appears only if:

the car drives (P or D) in cold weather, or:
the car is approaching a SC 8as nacigation goal)

no longer it will preheat the battery when only preheating the cabin.

I did multiple tests today..
Well I guess I'll have to come up with another job for today now you've taken care of that one!

So for now, I'll check if my nearest s/c is near enough to trigger battery warming. At 12 - 15 miles it could be borderline.

There's a lot of misguided guessing as to the issue here.

The change in regen is part of the Tesla response to fires, software updates secretively changed regen capacity, and for many people also capped battery capacity and greatly reduced supercharging speeds. The consensus is that Tesla did this after identifying unexpected degradation of battery packs and higher risk of fires with the previous battery management software. These changes took place last spring for many people and it is continuing to spread throughout the fleet. It is the subject of a class action lawsuit that is currently in the early stages of arbitration. Many people are just noticing the regen issue because of the temperature change. For many people in cold climates, it essentially means you won't have regen in the winter.

Is there anything from Tesla to confirm this? When you say "consensus," consensus of what group of people?

I have read and compared every post I can find on this matter on TMC and a few others too. Hard to find solid irrefutable data points without which it is very hard to see what relates to what (age / climate / driving style / sc use / mileage etc) so basis for argument either way - all good vs definite degredation.

Even once resolved with data, question remains if it is reasonable for Tesla to cause any 'negative' implications to otherwise 'enhance' a vehicle.