Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Register for the app [after private sale]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, first post here for me
Collected my secondhand m3lr last Thursday, and got my new V5 Monday.
Trying to add the car to my account but Tesla won’t do it because of the private plate a previous owner has fitted.
Tesla want proof of change of Reg number, I don’t know how to do that.
Apparantly it can be done by VIN alone.
Anyone else had this issue before?
Any help would be gratefully received.

Sorry, cannot really help. Welcome to the Tesla owners headaches with Customer Services. Reg. Number shouldn't have anything to do with the Account but thats Tesla just interfering I guess. If you bought from Tesla then they need to sort it. Otherwise the issue is with the previous owner not removing car from their account.

Tesla deal with VINs and will add the car using that - the problem is likely that they need you to prove ownership as the prior owner has possibly not de registered vehicle from their account - it’s a fair enough step since otherwise anyone could get hold of your documents and essentially contact Tesla to “steal” the car!

Get on to the person / company you bought it from - the previous owner hasn’t removed the car from their account which is possibly why Tesla are demanding other documents.

Whoever you bought it from assuming they added other plates to it should have the paperwork to say so.

Good luck 🤞

(It probably doesn’t help that the UK V5 has in large print “this document is not proof of ownership” stamped across it)

Reactions: MrBadger
The supplying dealer has spoken to Tesla also, he’s now provided an Experian history for the vehicle clearly showing the change of registration.
I think there might be a jobsworth handling this, he just keeps saying the VIN number prooves nothing on its own.
I can’t believe this is the first time this has happened, must be lots of teslas changed hands with private plates.

The supplying dealer has spoken to Tesla also, he’s now provided an Experian history for the vehicle clearly showing the change of registration.

I've not done it, but it all looks pretty straight forward on the website for the previous owners account then your account. If you dealer can't do it, then the previous owner needs to via their Tesla account.

1636643432059.png
1636643565311.png

So has the previous owner released the car from their Tesla account, ie first image?
It doesn't matter and he cannot see the previous owners account as per the image lol. The owner, god forbid might have passed away and regardless, Tesla would still want to see the V5C in their name. And albeit the V5C does state that its not proof of ownership (and how hard can it be to prove that you bought the damn thing unless you bought it from the guys selling smack around the corner), the name on the registration is of the person who is responsible for the vehicle...ie. It won't stick when you get a speeding or parking ticket 🤣