Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Register in VA, must take delivery in VA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of buying a MSP from Tesla. The car is currently in a Cherry Hill, NJ lot, and during the order process it showed the Owings Mills, MD SC as a free delivery location. I live in northern VA so I would just drive the hour and a half to the SC and pick it up. During the order process, however, I'm being told that if I register the car in VA, I have to take delivery in VA. This was not the case when I bought my current car from Chicago. I flew out and drove it back, no problem. I do not want to waste $500 and wait longer to have them ship the car 50 miles to a SC in VA. Is this a recent change?

What's more, they're now telling me that even if I picked it up at Owings Mills, they'd charge me $500. On the listing this was originally listed as $0.

I should know better by now to take screenshots of everything when dealing with this company. A shame that they are now actively trying to harm a customer relationship, though since they have their $500 non-refundable deposit I'm guessing they hope I'll just walk.

Just chronicling this for now. This screenshot is from another listing of a car located in MD, showing delivery options for my zip code in VA. If I cannot pick up the car in MD, why would a MD delivery location show up?

mddelivery.png

I've asked Tesla when this policy changed and where it is posted, but they have not gotten back to me yet.

What color/options did you get? I picked my car up at Owings Mills too. At least you get to thoroughly inspect your car before buying it.

Make sure you inspect it fully because there were a few things that I missed after driving off that had to be fixed and it took a long time to fix it.

Also, is the car a 2022 or 2023 model year?

It's a blue/cream/oak 2019 raven MSP w/EAP and 19" wheels. What is the process for not taking delivery at the scheduled time? When I picked up my current car I had flown out to Chicago and really had no recourse other than to Uber back to the airport and buy a ticket home, so I just had a few things fixed when I got home. The Tyco Rd. SC was pretty good about taking care of things, though I know a lot has obviously changed in the past 3 years.