Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registering used car in app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a barely used Model S the other day and submitted documents to get it registered in my app. Was wondering how long it has taken other people to have this processed. I took the car to a supercharger the other day and realized it is still charging the previous owner’s credit card. I bought the car at a dealership so I have no way to contact the previous owner. I love the car so far, but it is a bit annoying to have a car that costs six figures and not having full access to it.

If the previous owner removes the car from their account, the transfer can happen quickly. If they don’t, it will take longer. Having your supercharging charged to their card will probably motivate them. 🙂 What you paid for the car is irrelevant.
Might not motivate him. I called the dealer and they told me the guy who traded it in is so wealthy that he probably won’t notice or care 😂. So I guess I’ll be waiting to have app access for a while.

Upvote 0
Might not motivate him. I called the dealer and they told me the guy who traded it in is so wealthy that he probably won’t notice or care 😂. So I guess I’ll be waiting to have app access for a while.
Tesla can transfer the car to you even if the previous owner doesn't do anything, it will just take longer because Tesla might do extra verification to make sure you own the car.

Upvote 0
I picked up my Tesla late Thursday night from a Ford dealer. They stated they "charged it up fully" for my 3 hour drive home. Guess they didn't understand it was set to 80% limit. :( I figured what the heck and stopped at a Supercharger and lo and behold it allowed me to charge enough to get home. However shortly after finishing the charge the car displayed a message that SC wasn't available due to no payment method. Guess I woke up the previous owner LOL!

Submitted the information via the app after a duh moment where I forgot to rename the car first around 2AM Friday. Roughly 6:30 PM Sunday I got a notification from the app that the car had been added and sure enough I was able to pre-condition the cabin before leaving for work today. :D

Moral of the story, be sure to read and follow the directions fully when doing the change of ownership to include renaming the car to the name specified. Otherwise it will keep failing when you try to submit the request.

Upvote 0
I picked up my Tesla late Thursday night from a Ford dealer. They stated they "charged it up fully" for my 3 hour drive home. Guess they didn't understand it was set to 80% limit. :( I figured what the heck and stopped at a Supercharger and lo and behold it allowed me to charge enough to get home. However shortly after finishing the charge the car displayed a message that SC wasn't available due to no payment method. Guess I woke up the previous owner LOL!

Submitted the information via the app after a duh moment where I forgot to rename the car first around 2AM Friday. Roughly 6:30 PM Sunday I got a notification from the app that the car had been added and sure enough I was able to pre-condition the cabin before leaving for work today. :D

Moral of the story, be sure to read and follow the directions fully when doing the change of ownership to include renaming the car to the name specified. Otherwise it will keep failing when you try to submit the request.
Just got notified that my request was denied. Not sure why. I renamed the car and submitted the temporary registration and my license. Resubmitted everything again and tried to make sure everything is legible in the photos, so fingers crossed. Might stop by the Tesla dealer and see if they can help me out with it.

Upvote 0
Just got notified that my request was denied. Not sure why. I renamed the car and submitted the temporary registration and my license. Resubmitted everything again and tried to make sure everything is legible in the photos, so fingers crossed. Might stop by the Tesla dealer and see if they can help me out with it.
Crossing my fingers for you. Hopefully someone at the service center can tell you why it was denied, but I'd guess the previous owner didn't acknowledge the transfer request.

Upvote 0