Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registration Due (CA) on existing car with shifting delivery dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question on how best to handle. The registration on my current car (Mazda CX5) in CA is due on 7/8/21. My Y estimated Delivery is currently July 12 - August 01 and has been holding for a couple weeks. And of course may change again.

Was wondering on how best to manage as in CA the cost is $417 and from what I can tell, once paid there are no pro-rated refunds. Can I just wait it out and not pay and then pay on the Model Y? Trying to avoid paying twice. Will be selling exiting car to Carvanna or Carmax most likely once I am scheduled for pick-up.

Thanks for any help!

You might need a valid registration when selling it. At least CarMax asks for the registration.

And selling it after the registration expires does not mean you don't have to pay the renewal, the DMV could come after you. Whether they put in that effort or not I have no idea.

BTW: correct on not being able to get a pro-rated refund. You can't even get a refund if you pay it a few weeks/months in advance and then sell the car before the previous registration runs out.

Thank you all - hopefully will get included in an end of Q push and will get it in June and won't have to worry about. Live in Bay Area so there is hope. ;)
Yes, otherwise the obvious solution would be if you have access to another vehicle or you can get around by Uber/Lyft/bike (assuming limited distance/cost of course) and sell the car just before the registration is up. Guess not as I'm sure you would have considered that if possible.

My opinion is to sell your Mazda to Carmax now. I’m in the same position as you. My 2017 Audi Q7 needed tires. I sold the Audi to Carmax before having to replace all four tires AND alignment ($2,500). My Y delivery date just changed today to July 12-August 1, but has been back and forth for all July. We are just making do with one less car. Sacrifice to save some money. However, I do check my delivery date multiple times a day!

Reactions: Fraslin
Ordered May 21 and Have had a July 12 - Aug 1 date “locked in” since then.

A friend at work who worked at Tesla early on called his old manager and am in the system with a July 20 date for delivery. That is pretty much right in the middle so not sure if all of the dates split the difference or not.

still holding out hope for end of quarter as picking up in Colma

Reactions: Slomo_65
From recent personal experience, I can tell you CarMax won't purchase your car until registration is current. I did find out that California DMV now has kiosks in major grocery stores where you can pay your registration by credit card and it prints out your registration with a current sticker attached. Much, much quicker than going in person to the DMV or even AAA.

I’d say if you can get by a few weeks, to sell it now. Used car market is crazy. I just sold our Chevy Traverse for $8500 above the payoff!! Now we’re waiting on the Y and just getting by with one car at the moment. Also I save $382 by not having to pay the registration that’s due on 7/2.

I am in a similar situation. Running real close to license renewal date vs delivery of MYLR. I called the CA DMV 1-800-777-0133 and asked about just paying for a few months. Just trying to cover until I sell. The answer is DMV does not change renewal dates. I guess the only way is to register in another state and re-register in California. Not a cheap solution, but it would change the date.

We have the same issue in WA state with no prorated refunds of registration. My renewal is scheduled for 8/23 but I have a EDD in September and am trying to avoid paying the $945(!) fee.

I’ve read Carmax won’t buy a car w/ expired rego but is that the case with all trade-in services? I’ve read that Tesla doesn’t even look at the car for trade-ins and immediately sends it off for auction.

We have the same issue in WA state with no prorated refunds of registration. My renewal is scheduled for 8/23 but I have a EDD in September and am trying to avoid paying the $945(!) fee.

I’ve read Carmax won’t buy a car w/ expired rego but is that the case with all trade-in services? I’ve read that Tesla doesn’t even look at the car for trade-ins and immediately sends it off for auction.
In California, the DMV will make the new owner pay for the late registration charges that accrued under the previous owner, so it behooves any buyer to check that the registration is up to date. The DMV has a website where a prospective buyer can check.