Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registration fees in New Hampshire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I buy a Tesla S, I'd like to know what the registration fees are in New Hampshire.
Has anyone registered a Tesla S in this state? If so, could you tell us what your fees were?
I tried to get this information from the local town office in Claremont. Initially the clerk told me that she could not give me a ballpark figure unless I presented a sales slip and VIN number. After a while she told me that it would be $18% of the purchase price.
On a $90,000 Peformance, that would be over $16,000.00. Is that true?

No, it isn't true. We payed $1,086 municipal in March and $45 for state for an 85. I can't imagine that Claremont would be that different from Salem. A performance would probably be a bit more. They also used the base price of the car to calculate the number, they did not count the additional options that we purchased. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It is certainly not that much but depending on the proximity to your birthday the prorate will vary for that first payment. I will say that the full year for me is estimated $1900. I have a Performance fully loaded. They used the weight and cost to determine my annual rate. They said that weight played a minor roll, it comes down to what you paid as your asked to submit your bill of sale with the cert of orgin. NH didnt have the tesla model S in the system in February so they had to leverage the bill of sale.

One point that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that NH does not use the full price that you paid for the car. They use the so called "base" price. For the most part this is the price of the car without mos of the options that you can outfit your car with. In my case we had to get the office supervisor involved since, as other folks have mentioned, in February there was no information in the system about the Tesla Model S. The supervisor then went online to the Tesla web site to get pricing information. This is where you will take a big hit with ordering the performance model since the base price includes many items that are optional on the standard Model S. Therefor the tax will be very different between a fully loaded standard Model S and a performance Model S with those same options except for the larger motor. After I was shown a base price $6k higher than the total I paid for my car I had to explain to the supervisor that I didn't have the performance and that there was more than just one type of Model S. The folks at most NH DMV offices tend to to be very friendly and helpful and we were able to a reasonable solution. I would certainly allow for plenty of time at the office to deal with this. There is a big learning curve for them as well as you. With Nashua being one of the larger offices in the state, I'm sure that the offices in smaller towns will be clueless. One other suggestion might be to point the supervisor of a small town to the supervisor in Nashua, Salem or Pelham where Model S's have already been registered.

Radiod77 brought up some good points. Its definitely going to get easier as more register in your town or when NH finally puts the Model S in the system eventually. Perhaps there is a difference registering in Nashua vs a small town like Pelham or just inconsistencies on the approach all together. I know when I registered, no one had a clue. Even when registers office in Pelham called into Concord no one could figure it out. The nice lady here in Pelham was instructed to just take my MSRP total off the bill of sale since there was no other way to figure it out. It seems that others had different experiences. I would like to see who else had a similar experience to Radiod77, me or perhaps had a different experience all together.

Concept: "base price": For registration purposes WY uses the base price only, i.e. the top line on the new car window sticker $57,400-. The lines below are all considered 'options'. I protested, not wanted to be caught in some trap of illogic, with pr repercussions to EVs, etc. County Clerk called State Capitol to verify, and they were doing it correctly. Seems the New Car Dealers got the law changed a couple years previously due to new cars costing so much. Removing *all* options from the Registration cost results in great savings for car owners each year at renewal time. But in the Tesla S case this 'Standard Vehicle Price' of 57,400 leaves you with NO BATTERY at all. As opposed to, say, a V6 option on top of a 4 cyl included in base price. Plus on the left side of window sticker: 'included at no extra cost in the standard Vehicle Price': 'microprocessor controlled lithium-ion battery'. Go figure. So I yielded to their new system and will enjoy some savings at renewal time. My '85 kwh battery $20,000' option is excluded.

Now that the 60 kwh battery is also available might change this.
--

Did you have difficulty getting them to use the base price? I just read the New Hampshire law which states "The treasurer of each city, or such other person as the city government may designate, and the town clerk of each town shall collect fees for such permits as follows: on each vehicle offered for registration a sum equal to 18 mills on each dollar of maker's list price for the current model year vehicle etc..." So they use the list price. Is that the same as base price? I am getting a Model X Signature and am concerned that they may use the total price of the car for registration purposes.

Did you have difficulty getting them to use the base price? I just read the New Hampshire law which states "The treasurer of each city, or such other person as the city government may designate, and the town clerk of each town shall collect fees for such permits as follows: on each vehicle offered for registration a sum equal to 18 mills on each dollar of maker's list price for the current model year vehicle etc..." So they use the list price. Is that the same as base price? I am getting a Model X Signature and am concerned that they may use the total price of the car for registration purposes.

For NH the dollar mil rate (i.e. dollars per $1,000 of list price (MSRP)) goes:
Year 1: $18
Year 2: $15
Year 3: $12
Year 4: $9
Year 5: $6
Year 6+: $3

If Tesla supplies a "window sticker" then that's where the MSRP would come from. If it's like Maine it'd be the factory MSRP, so wouldn't include delivery or "dealer" options like the mats.

Making a new post on this , as this is the only thread I’ve found through all of the web about Tesla in NH in relation to the fees. Attached is what I got from the estimator for the 2019 Model 3 standard.

Imgur

I will be ordering one myself this summer, I’ve yet to only see 2 Tesla’s ever in NH not sure why the adoption rate of EVs in general is so low. Every major dealership near me has none and has no interest in selling them.

Right. Dealers don't know much about maintaining EVs. If they do, they know that it costs much less to maintain EVs and therefore they will have much less income from Evs over the years. Also, there a number of adjustments that EV drivers make. Learning about all of the aspects of an EV takes a long time. Much of the public does not really know much about EVs. The price of the EV vehicles tend to be higher than of comparable ICE cars. You cannot travel 500 miles on one charge as you can on a tank of gas. Generally EV owners need to install a charging station in their home which is an added expense. That being said, Tesla is an awesome company. They will bend over backwards to make sure that you are satisfied with your car. If you buy the Tesla, it is unlikely that you would ever go back to an ICE car again. Tesla automobiles are a joy to drive. Message me and I will be glad to let you drive my P90D. I live in NH as well.

An EV, especially a Tesla EV, is so much better than a car. If you can charge where you sleep or work, you are in business, all the details will fall into place. If you have to live on superchargers, it is slightly more complicated, but still in the realm of "easy", assuming you don't live in the Merrimack Valley towards the mass border. (Notorious supercharger hole). Order it, don't wait, otherwise it will be that much longer until you can enjoy it.

For those in NH area how has the battery life been through this past cold winter we had? Like roughly how much percent you feel like you lost if tracked it at all? Thanks! Tesla is really only EV with range far enough for me as I travel sometimes 100+ miles one way and then I’d need to get back and no EVs appear to fit that well without doubling the amount of stops needed to charge.

For those in NH area how has the battery life been through this past cold winter we had? Like roughly how much percent you feel like you lost if tracked it at all? Thanks! Tesla is really only EV with range far enough for me as I travel sometimes 100+ miles one way and then I’d need to get back and no EVs appear to fit that well without doubling the amount of stops needed to charge.

I have a LR AWD with Aero wheels. I got the car in late Nov. '19. So far I have driven ~6000 miles and the lifetime average is 253 wh/mi. For reference, the EPA range of 310 miles is about 241 wh/mi. I have to say that I don't use heat much; mostly only when there are passengers. I find the heated seat a more efficient way to keep me warm.

Three more data points
1. I drive about 400 miles each week, a 70/30 mix of highway/local driving.
2. My average was 260+ wh/mi for the first 4000 miles. With weather getting warm, the average has gone down steadily. I expect that number to be well below 250 wh/mi in a month or two.
3. My tires are inflated at 45psi. The car was delivered with tires inflated at 42psi. The Watertown SC set them to 45 after my visit to correct some minor issues spotted at delivery. I haven't bother to set them back to 42psi (the recommendation). At 45psi, the car makes me feel the road a lot more, giving a bumpier ride. On the other hand, it in theory would help with the efficiency.

In your case, it should work if you top off you battery right before you start your 200+ miles round-trip drive. That gives you a buffer of ~ 100 rated miles for conditioning the car, vampire drain while it sits in the parking lot, and occasional enjoyment of instant acceleration. Even in deep winter, that's a very comfortable buffer IMHO.