Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registration in Texas Issue Need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I went to register the car in the Travis county registration office and they said i need two copies of the Odomoter Disclosure notice, one for me to sign and one for my wife who is co-signed to the car. Tesla only sent me one copy. The paperwork was sent to me in 25 days, it took me 4 days to get an appointment in the tax office, now trying to get the missing paperwork with tesla is going to put me beyond 30 days and I will have to pay a penalty which i think is 10%. Not to mention the work time i have missed going back and forth to the tax office.

I have reached out to tesla support and the folks I was dealing with while getting delivery. I will also call their office but this is going to cost me.

Maybe someone in a similar situation will see this and check the paperwork.

thanks
Yogesh

Hi,

I went to register the car in the Travis county registration office and they said i need two copies of the Odomoter Disclosure notice, one for me to sign and one for my wife who is co-signed to the car. Tesla only sent me one copy. The paperwork was sent to me in 25 days, it took me 4 days to get an appointment in the tax office, now trying to get the missing paperwork with tesla is going to put me beyond 30 days and I will have to pay a penalty which i think is 10%. Not to mention the work time i have missed going back and forth to the tax office.

I have reached out to tesla support and the folks I was dealing with while getting delivery. I will also call their office but this is going to cost me.

thanks
Yogesh
Just curious - were you able to resolve? That form wasn't accepted at the Fort Bend tax office yesterday - made me sign the back of the origin certificate because they said that Tesla was not an in-state dealer, and the odo form is only for in-state dealers. The desk agent took it to the office supervisor as well and got the same answer.

Reactions: CpYledomUser1
Hi,

thanks
Yogesh
search texas tesla odometer disclosure.A guy in your situation explained it already

After I took delivery , the next minor fiasco was that Tesla sent me a packet of registration documents unsigned by Tesla. They sent the package as if they were going to do the registering themselves. When I called them and reminded them that I was registering the car, they sent the correct package and I finally had what I needed in order to register the car myself. (maybe I should have run with it and see if they ever figured out I owed them tax and tag fees. LOL. In any event, the documents you need to register the car are:

1. Proof of vehicle inspection. This was delivered to me in the car when I took possession.
  2. Proof of insurance - up to you, naturally
  3. Signed form 130-U This is the title transfer form that you need signed by Tesla. It's a downloadable form and Tesla will do that, sign it, and send it to you.
  4. Signed MCO / Title - The MCO is the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. Think of it as the car's original Title, before it has a chance to be Titled in any state. Kind of like it's birth certificate. If you were registering a used car, this is where you would need the existing title. Since the Tesla is a new car, never titled, you need a MCO (also called an MSO, Manufacturer's Statement of Origin). This is signed by Tesla. Cheekily, it's actually signed by Elon (stamp of course).
  5. Odometer disclosure. Being a new car, and being a California MCO, the odometer disclosure is on the BACK OF THE MCO. Make sure you sign this part, or you cannot register the car.
  6. Driver's license
  7. Check or credit car to pay fees AND TAXES. I don't recommend paying the tax by credit card as they charge like 2.5% transaction fee. They will take personal check for several thousand dollars
  8. Bill of sale showing the purchase price and any trade in value.
That's it. Tesla will send you what you need, signed. All you need to do is bring that stuff to your local tax office, wait in line (30-60 minutes) and pay up. They will issue you a permanent plate on the spot. My previous car had a specialty plate that I transferred, no charge. Just bring that with you and they will note it on the documents.

MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIVING THE CAR OR YOU WILL PAY A PENALTY ON NOT PAYING TAXES ON TIME. Tesla is paying this penalty for you when they cannot register the car in 30 days for you.

I had planned on paying my tax out of pocket, not rolling it into my loan. So either paying Tesla in cash or paying the Tax office direct didn't matter to me. In fact, it was nice to do it a few weeks later after sending Tesla a big wad of cash. There was no issue at all with getting the tax credit from my trade. The trade in value was on my paperwork and that value was deducted from the total tax basis (purchase price - trade in value)*6.5%. Of note, it does not matter what you owe on your trade. You could own it outright or have a lien on it and be upside down. Doesn't matter. If they gave you $20k on your trade, you get $20k taken off the tax basis.

So all in all, I had the paperwork to register the car myself about 2 weeks after taking delivery. Would have been sooner had Tesla not screwed it up and sent me the wrong paperwork, and if the holidays didn't interfere with shipping schedules. I registered the car a week later when I could take an hour out of my work day to do so. Boom, done.

So for those of you buying yourself in TX, I'd recommend doing it this way IF you were planning on paying at least the amount of taxes down on the car anyway. It seems a lot less painful to spend an hour at the Tax office than to wait weeks and weeks and weeks for plates and have to worry about your temp tag expiring multiple times.

Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: StoicKiwi
search texas tesla odometer disclosure.A guy in your situation explained it already

After I took delivery , the next minor fiasco was that Tesla sent me a packet of registration documents unsigned by Tesla. They sent the package as if they were going to do the registering themselves. When I called them and reminded them that I was registering the car, they sent the correct package and I finally had what I needed in order to register the car myself. (maybe I should have run with it and see if they ever figured out I owed them tax and tag fees. LOL. In any event, the documents you need to register the car are:

1. Proof of vehicle inspection. This was delivered to me in the car when I took possession.
  2. Proof of insurance - up to you, naturally
  3. Signed form 130-U This is the title transfer form that you need signed by Tesla. It's a downloadable form and Tesla will do that, sign it, and send it to you.
  4. Signed MCO / Title - The MCO is the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. Think of it as the car's original Title, before it has a chance to be Titled in any state. Kind of like it's birth certificate. If you were registering a used car, this is where you would need the existing title. Since the Tesla is a new car, never titled, you need a MCO (also called an MSO, Manufacturer's Statement of Origin). This is signed by Tesla. Cheekily, it's actually signed by Elon (stamp of course).
  5. Odometer disclosure. Being a new car, and being a California MCO, the odometer disclosure is on the BACK OF THE MCO. Make sure you sign this part, or you cannot register the car.
  6. Driver's license
  7. Check or credit car to pay fees AND TAXES. I don't recommend paying the tax by credit card as they charge like 2.5% transaction fee. They will take personal check for several thousand dollars
  8. Bill of sale showing the purchase price and any trade in value.
That's it. Tesla will send you what you need, signed. All you need to do is bring that stuff to your local tax office, wait in line (30-60 minutes) and pay up. They will issue you a permanent plate on the spot. My previous car had a specialty plate that I transferred, no charge. Just bring that with you and they will note it on the documents.

MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIVING THE CAR OR YOU WILL PAY A PENALTY ON NOT PAYING TAXES ON TIME. Tesla is paying this penalty for you when they cannot register the car in 30 days for you.

I had planned on paying my tax out of pocket, not rolling it into my loan. So either paying Tesla in cash or paying the Tax office direct didn't matter to me. In fact, it was nice to do it a few weeks later after sending Tesla a big wad of cash. There was no issue at all with getting the tax credit from my trade. The trade in value was on my paperwork and that value was deducted from the total tax basis (purchase price - trade in value)*6.5%. Of note, it does not matter what you owe on your trade. You could own it outright or have a lien on it and be upside down. Doesn't matter. If they gave you $20k on your trade, you get $20k taken off the tax basis.

So all in all, I had the paperwork to register the car myself about 2 weeks after taking delivery. Would have been sooner had Tesla not screwed it up and sent me the wrong paperwork, and if the holidays didn't interfere with shipping schedules. I registered the car a week later when I could take an hour out of my work day to do so. Boom, done.

So for those of you buying yourself in TX, I'd recommend doing it this way IF you were planning on paying at least the amount of taxes down on the car anyway. It seems a lot less painful to spend an hour at the Tax office than to wait weeks and weeks and weeks for plates and have to worry about your temp tag expiring multiple times.

Hope this helps.

I had to pay the tax penalty because Tesla sent my registration packet to me with only 2 days to register on time and I was out of town during those 2 days.