Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registration in Wa now more than insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jsanford

Red Model 3
Apr 27, 2016
Seattle
Just received my registration renewal bill and to my horror, it’s over $700–$225 just because the car is an EV.
It’s more than my last insurance premium.

Anyone other Tesla owner see a big increase this year over last?

The EV fees that jsanford mentioned were never on the ballot - the legislators just decided that it was easier to add taxes on EV drivers than ICE drivers, because there are fewer of us. There was also some political dealing there - you hit "your" guys for money, and then we'll vote on this other thing you want. When one of the sponsors was challenged on the wisdom of these fees, he dismissed it with "EV owners can afford it." I'm not sure I can come up with a better system, but I am definitely not a fan of the lawmaking process. At least we are getting a few charging stations out of it, eventually.

The RTA fees are no doubt a significant part of the bill as well, and that WAS on the ballot. I generally am in favor of building infrastructure, but boy that's an expensive one - and if they have cost overruns, they can raise the rates without going back for a vote. Yikes - I voted no on that one.

The EV fees that jsanford mentioned were never on the ballot - the legislators just decided that it was easier to add taxes on EV drivers than ICE drivers, because there are fewer of us.

Please don’t just make stuff up, it isn’t helpful to our cause to get everyone riled up with inaccurate information.

The EV fee is $150, not $225, and has been since about 2016. That’s what I have paid since then. It is not imposed because we’re a small group, it is imposed because we don’t pay any gas tax, which is used by the state and other governments to pay for the road infrastructure, paving, bridges, highways, the entire public road system.

If you don’t want to pay for the upkeep of the public streets, then don’t drive on them. It is only fair that you pay something, whether $150 is fair is a matter of opinion. The state did look into a mileage based tax replacement for the gas tax and EV tax that would be more equitable.

Sure, I would like the state to do more to encourage adoption of electric vehicles, they have made multiple efforts in the past. I got a $500 L2 charger for free several years ago, and they also paid for electric highway chargers on I5 and SR101 when there were no rural charging options for EVs other than Tesla Superchargers. But we are not owed a “free” ride just because we think EVs are better. And I’m sure your charging cost plus the $150 EV fee is still way cheaper than paying for gasoline.

When figuring out what is fair to pay remember that the heavy weight of your batteries is causing more road wear than a similar ICE vehicle, you can tell because our tires wear out about twice as fast.

Please don’t just make stuff up, it isn’t helpful to our cause to get everyone riled up with inaccurate information.

The EV fee is $150, not $225, and has been since about 2016. That’s what I have paid since then. It is not imposed because we’re a small group, it is imposed because we don’t pay any gas tax, which is used by the state and other governments to pay for the road infrastructure, paving, bridges, highways, the entire public road system.

If you don’t want to pay for the upkeep of the public streets, then don’t drive on them. It is only fair that you pay something, whether $150 is fair is a matter of opinion. The state did look into a mileage based tax replacement for the gas tax and EV tax that would be more equitable.

Sure, I would like the state to do more to encourage adoption of electric vehicles, they have made multiple efforts in the past. I got a $500 L2 charger for free several years ago, and they also paid for electric highway chargers on I5 and SR101 when there were no rural charging options for EVs other than Tesla Superchargers. But we are not owed a “free” ride just because we think EVs are better. And I’m sure your charging cost plus the $150 EV fee is still way cheaper than paying for gasoline.

When figuring out what is fair to pay remember that the heavy weight of your batteries is causing more road wear than a similar ICE vehicle, you can tell because our tires wear out about twice as fast.
It was $150, there is a new $75 fee this year bringing the total to $225. My registration is about the same as last year due to the new $75 fee.

I guess my previous comment wasn't worded very carefully.

I am well aware of the gas tax issue, and I agree EV drivers should help pay for roads. (In fact about a decade ago, when we weren't paying anything, I helped the Seattle EV Association propose a weight-adjusted VMT fee for EVs). But that doesn't mean it was the only reason the current laws were passed, that the process was reasonable, that a flat tax is reasonable, or that the amount is commensurate.

I didn't have to make anything up. I testified on several iterations of the bills in question (as well as on alternative bills that did not make it), talked to many of the legislators involved, and worked with lobbyists on both sides. Given my experience, i am unhappy with the law and the lawmaking process. If you are happy with it, I am honestly happy to hear that.

Last edited:
Just received my registration renewal bill and to my horror, it’s over $700–$225 just because the car is an EV.
It’s more than my last insurance premium.

Anyone other Tesla owner see a big increase this year over last?

My renewal was over $1200 with RTA tax.
Im stuck now, since renewal is June 30 and we leave the state July 25.
I dont think WA gives refunds right?

I think we should made Gas cars pay for Clean air.
Yes, I'm surprised how much traction the "you use the roads too, so you need to pay for them" argument gets, even on this forum. Sure when some significant percentage of cars on the road are EVs, then I agree with that. But when it's like 1% of cars, then I'm totally fine with the polluters paying our freight. Just standard progressive politics, which is what this state is supposedly about (but clearly not in this case).

Reactions: Teedub21

this is also very inaccurate information. Most modern cars have a curb weight of 3600-4000 pounds. Same as our Tesla’s. Some drivers eat up tires likely due to the high torque our motors put out.

Reactions: jnericks
Initiative 976
Tim Eyman's initiative to slash car tab fees is currently playing out in courts. Right after the initiative passed, before the court cases started, my registration came up for renewal. I had to pay the full fee regardless, around $900.

SB 6586 - Do NOT let this happen!
re: switching to pay per mile and EV rates being higher than ICE rates. I wrote to my representatives, going to post the responses I got in that thread.

Reactions: wenkan
this is also very inaccurate information. Most modern cars have a curb weight of 3600-4000 pounds. Same as our Tesla’s. Some drivers eat up tires likely due to the high torque our motors put out.
I think what causes the most damage to the roads are studded tires. They should probably tax that separately. Tire chains are typically used only for a particular snow event where as studded tires are allowed to be on a vehicle for 5 months out of the year, Nov 1 to Mar 31.

From my reading, Trucks and Buses basically do all the damage to roads. Which makes sense due to their weight.
I've always thought there should be separate highways for semis and other freight. The problem of course is that the humans driving them need similar amenities to the humans driving cars. Maybe it's a project Elon will get to some day once there are millions of Tesla semis out there :)

Reactions: wenkan