Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registration question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

klondike66

Supporting Member
Nov 26, 2022
Hilton Head, SC
Bit of a first world problem/complex issue that I wanted to see if anyone has had before. I'm going to order a model S for delivery in the Spring.

I split my time between three homes - Florida, South Carolina and Illinois. My primary residence (where I have my DL too) is FL. However, I have a few cars and they're all registered, titled, insured etc. in South Carolina. I do this because that's where they spend the majority of their time and are stored etc.

SO - as I order a Tesla - I want it delivered in IL (as that's where I'll use it for a few months first), titled and registered in SC ... all with a FL driver's license.

Phew - I suspect this will break them.

I've had issues with dealers before but was always able to speak to them and work it out. With Tesla - I'm not sure I'll get to speak with a human.

Any advice or anyone ever run into anything similar? With other dealers, what's happened is that I've just gotten a temp plate and handled the registration etc. myself. Not sure that will be an option with Tesla.

It shouldn’t matter where you pick up your car. For instance, before Tesla recently opened a service/delivery center in New Mexico, I would have had to go up to Colorado to pick up my car before registering it in NM. When you order your S, use your SC address - and when you are asked for the delivery location you can select one of the Tesla stores in Illinois most convenient for you.

Reactions: DerbyDave
It shouldn’t matter where you pick up your car. For instance, before Tesla recently opened a service/delivery center in New Mexico, I would have had to go up to Colorado to pick up my car before registering it in NM. When you order your S, use your SC address - and when you are asked for the delivery location you can select one of the Tesla stores in Illinois most convenient for you.
Thanks! I figure it may be an issue if I use the SC address, but then give them a FL driver's license...but I will try it!

Here in CA when you go to DMV, then give you paper tags but also collect sales tax and license fees.
Yup - works the same here in SC. It's all fine to register, title etc. in SC without a SC license...just showing that I have a residence there. The problems I've run into in the past are dealers that refuse to allow me to register it in a different state from my license as they feel I'm trying to be a tax dodger or doing something unethical. Which is nonsense. The insurance company wants me to register, title, pay taxes and insure the car in the state that it spends the most time...which is NOT necessarily (and isn't in my case) where my primary residence is and where my DL comes from. I pay sales and property tax in SC on all of my cars.

Anyway - as I said - first world problems for sure. Thank you for the advice!