Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registration/Temp Tags in Ohio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just scheduled delivery (at SC) in Ohio. I forgot to ask about vehicle registration. Will Tesla issue temp tags at delivery like other vehicle dealers, or do I need to arrange for that myself through Ohio BMV? How are plates handled? Thanks.

I just went through this (with a bit of stress). It wasn’t a problem, just slightly different than was described at delivery.

You’ll get paper temp tags at delivery (and it’s Ohio so you have ~10 days to get insurance finalized) and a paper “registration” for the glovebox. Then later you’ll get a package from Tesla with a few copies of the full registration, yet another paper temp tag (with your real tag number), and your title.

This is where the confusion was: around the same time, you’ll get a package from the BMV with your metal plate, and a note saying that the date sticker was in your registration (which it was not). Later, you’ll get a separate registration card from the BMV which includes the sticker.

I just went through this (with a bit of stress). It wasn’t a problem, just slightly different than was described at delivery.

You’ll get paper temp tags at delivery (and it’s Ohio so you have ~10 days to get insurance finalized) and a paper “registration” for the glovebox. Then later you’ll get a package from Tesla with a few copies of the full registration, yet another paper temp tag (with your real tag number), and your title.

This is where the confusion was: around the same time, you’ll get a package from the BMV with your metal plate, and a note saying that the date sticker was in your registration (which it was not). Later, you’ll get a separate registration card from the BMV which includes the sticker.
Thanks for the info. Taking delivery on Saturday so glad to know what to expect.