Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets [Anyone regret trading in their ICE for their Tesla?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious but does anyone have regrets about getting a tesla over a gas car? I had a BMW and traded it for my model Y and I kinda regret it.
Hey @sloth, great thread topic!

1) Generally-speaking, ICE to EV, not one tiny bit!!
2) Specifically-speaking, Honda Odyssey (Japanese version) to Model 3 SR+, yeah ...

1) I have zero regrets/doubts/reservations. We are fortunate to have a private garage and 50A to for a Wall Connector, so 90+% charged at home ... couldn't be simpler. (not all Japanese households can do this, a major problem for selling EVs in Japan) As to road trips, there are only about 60 country-wide, so there is some limitation, and/or planning necessary. So .. we plan (duh!). All the deep philosophical arguments about Teslas not being quite as economical or environmentally responsible as some may say fall on deaf ears ... after a few years of ownership, I know I've made out. Literally zero-maintenance, and my evening electric rates make my gasoline comparison usage something like a scooter.

2) My Odyssey had effortless ingress egress, including handles inside the door sill. The Model 3 is LOW, and my 66 year-old body groans every time I get in or out (however, my teenager mind kinda likes the lowness) Rear-sliding electric doors made taking guests and grandchildren somewhere a breeze, but weird handles and doors that need to be opened wide in narrow-everywhere Japan makes me have to get out a play chauffer (but a little bit of me is like, "I betcha don't know how to open this door! snicker). My wife knew Honda cars well (4 Hondas over 30 years), and I doubt I ever had a phone call from my wife about car issues, but now I get "how do I lock the car/ fold the mirrors/ turn on the wipers?" and "it says I only have 100km of battery left, can I make it home? (... she's only 5km away). The other day she called to ask where she parked, because she knows I can locate it on the app ... then asked me "what floor?" (gotta admit, this one stumped me!) This NEVER happened with our Hondas! I do miss our ICE cars.

The closest thing I can do to fix our problem is buy a MYP (ETD Feb/Mar 2023), This won't fix any of the problems except easier ingress/egress, which is enough for me. And strangely enough, my wife is all for it! She is looking forward to longer range and a bit more room, and since the Long Range available in Japan is the Performance, I look forward to the ... ummm ... potentiometer.

Cheers!

Reactions: Bouba