Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets [Anyone regret trading in their ICE for their Tesla?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had two flat tires and a broken rear window with my Model Y and I STILL would trade in any ICE for it. The ability to never go to the gas station or change oil is amazing. I have 300 miles every morning ready in my car. Plus, cost about $12/13 to drive 300 miles versus $60/70. Also, to mobile repair techs are awesome in my area. Don't need to go to service centers or make appointments, etc. They just come to your house or office. So nice.

Reactions: 804son
no-ragrets.jpeg

According to TeslaFi, 12.49% in 23.5 months

Wow that’s a lot
I don't see it that way, though the first 13 months, were the scariest. I haven't done any real attempts at trying to recover or should I reset the BMS. It's literally been flat after that period. Maybe even improved after some longer distance trips where I've let the battery get down to as low as 7%. Just never let it do a cold soak, since I was traveling and immediately recharged with either a SuperCharger or J1772. If it stays that way for the next 274,000 miles I won't complain. LOL

I'm at 26450 miles currently.

Reactions: DrGriz
That's just what the app would tell me if I set my charge limit to 100%

Also at 80% my range would show about 176-180 miles
Gotcha...thats how I did it also. However, from what I have read and based on my experience, this is not an accurate way of drawing any real conclusions. The BMS estimate can get thrown off over time and there are a few methods of "resetting" the BMS estimate. One method that has worked for me is to charge the car to 100% and let it continue charging even after it says 100%.

Gotcha...thats how I did it also. However, from what I have read and based on my experience, this is not an accurate way of drawing any real conclusions. The BMS estimate can get thrown off over time and there are a few methods of "resetting" the BMS estimate. One method that has worked for me is to charge the car to 100% and let it continue charging even after it says 100%.
How do you do that? Reset?

How do you do that? Reset?

I read about it somewhere on this site...I can't find the original thread that I read but here is one that basically says the same thing.

How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

I don't go out of my way to "reset" or "recalibrate" the BMS but I have noticed that my projected range would go up after charging to 100% prior to leaving on a long road trip.

I didn't trade anything in, but if I did it would have been my Prius with 292K miles on it. So the answer is no. Love our Tesla. Its great as a regional car, usable for most long distance road trips, and I don't have to pump gas in the rain to make to work in the middle of the week :)

I have kept my Lexus RX as a second vehicle, and we drove that car about 100 miles in last 9 months. :)
I have an 22 RX and will be trading it for the 23 MY long range. I am very nervous b/c of the unknowns with Tesla. I do not like the Lexus that much b(seat uncomfortable and there is a lack of heat near the footwell in the drivers side) But purchased it ONLY due to the reliability.. I think the Lexus too me feels like a boat and you feel a lot of body roll. How do you like your MY now that you have had it for the past year?

Traded in my X3M Competition and regret it immensely. Was hoping track mode or some other nice over the air goodies would materialize, but the car is largely the same as it was on release.

I figured I could always go back due to the great resale value, but now I'm stuck since values have tanked. Carmax just offered me 58k for my MYP with 700 miles, Carvana and Vroom are less than that.
Track mode is now available. What is it that you regretted?

• Funny
Reactions: ABQP3D
Well you did state that you filled up less often with your ICE car vs the Tesla but most people don't think about it in this way: To fill up an ICE vehicle you have to drive to a gas station and then spend five minutes or even up to 15 if you're filling up at Costco with a line. If you fill up once a week for five minutes that's 260 minutes or a little over 4 hours of your time spent at a gas station per year. If you're filling up at places with a line then you're looking at 10+ hours.

For a Tesla though all you have to do is plug it in and it charges while you're home so you basically get those hours back, even if you have to "fill" the Tesla up more often.

I think all those gas cars trying to fill up at Costco would be about equal to a Tesla getting a full charge at a 250w supercharger.

But if can get a wall connector at your home, all local drives can make it back home without charging. The furthest local drives I do are from OC to Six Flags Magic Mountain or OC to San Diego. Usually makes it back without needing a charge, maybe I'd just put 100% if I feel I'm driving a bit further. But even if it had to stop, it only be like 5-10 minutes if it's just a long local drive.

Even though I do have to stop a lot on road trips, I still believe I saved more time overall not having to stop at a gas station for any drive I do including local.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw and Bouba
I have an 22 RX and will be trading it for the 23 MY long range. I am very nervous b/c of the unknowns with Tesla. I do not like the Lexus that much b(seat uncomfortable and there is a lack of heat near the footwell in the drivers side) But purchased it ONLY due to the reliability.. I think the Lexus too me feels like a boat and you feel a lot of body roll. How do you like your MY now that you have had it for the past year?
I switched from BMW X3 to Tesla Y LR.

Initially I felt the car was very rough (but very sporty) and the steering ratio was VERY quick. Took me couple of months to get used to it but now they became a second nature, and I no longer miss any advantage X3 may have over the Y. On the flipside, the Y has many pros over the X3, which I am enjoying far more than even what I was expecting.

Some of the pros of X3 over the Y:

- Smoother rides (slightly worse handling)
- More lux interior (not important for me)
- Longer range on a full tank (MUCH longer as I had a diesel) - but now i prefer to drive longer trips on Y over the X3, even with frequent charging.
- Local garage can work on the car, if something goes wrong. No Tesla center within 200km for me.

Pros on Y over X3 are much more extensive, for me.

No regrets.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I switched from BMW X3 to Tesla Y LR.

Initially I felt the car was very rough (but very sporty) and the steering ratio was VERY quick. Took me couple of months to get used to it but now they became a second nature, and I no longer miss any advantage X3 may have over the Y. On the flipside, the Y has many pros over the X3, which I am enjoying far more than even what I was expecting.

Some of the pros of X3 over the Y:

- Smoother rides (slightly worse handling)
- More lux interior (not important for me)
- Longer range on a full tank (MUCH longer as I had a diesel) - but now i prefer to drive longer trips on Y over the X3, even with frequent charging.
- Local garage can work on the car, if something goes wrong. No Tesla center within 200km for me.

Pros on Y over X3 are much more extensive, for me.

No regrets.
I got rid of my 2019 BMW X3 for the Lexus and I regret it completely. I should have had Tesla in my thoughts before switching over to Lexus. It is so boring but reliable however, I am not enjoying the car. It is much larger and feels like a big boat, you feel the body roll in turns, seat uncomfortable(Lexus corp is sending someone to look at my seat to see what they can do to fix it, if they can) tons of maintenance appointments every 6 months or 5k miles which was not the case with BMW, I already had my front rotors shaved at 15k miles brake pads are good so far.. I think the ride of the MY with the new suspension that came out two months ago is better than the X3. Definitely any luxury brand interior will be better than the MY but we know what were are getting outselves into. Do you still have the X3? I do not miss the premium gas price in the X3 however may tank in the Lexus is larger even though it is regular gas. I have about 3 Tesla centers within 20-35 minutes of me.

I got rid of my 2019 BMW X3 for the Lexus and I regret it completely. I should have had Tesla in my thoughts before switching over to Lexus. It is so boring but reliable however, I am not enjoying the car. It is much larger and feels like a big boat, you feel the body roll in turns, seat uncomfortable(Lexus corp is sending someone to look at my seat to see what they can do to fix it, if they can) tons of maintenance appointments every 6 months or 5k miles which was not the case with BMW, I already had my front rotors shaved at 15k miles brake pads are good so far.. I think the ride of the MY with the new suspension that came out two months ago is better than the X3. Definitely any luxury brand interior will be better than the MY but we know what were are getting outselves into. Do you still have the X3? I do not miss the premium gas price in the X3 however may tank in the Lexus is larger even though it is regular gas. I have about 3 Tesla centers within 20-35 minutes of me.
So far, my Y has been super reliable. Zero fixes and other than buying a set of all weather tires, I spent zero on fixing the car. I'm sure you are aware already, but brakes last forever in EVs, although my friends with 6+ years of Tesla experience advises me to clean them once winter is over.

Even though the Y is quite big, it still feels sporty and almost no body lean.

I don't have the X3 anymore, as I don't have a need for it.

The Y is my daily driver, and we now camp in it with my wife. We are about to start a new trip from Ontario to North Carolina, about 10 days long. We charge at super chargers and at camp sites with 50A. Sleeping in it is super comfy. Can't even imagine doing this in the X3.