Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets [Anyone regret trading in their ICE for their Tesla?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3860D5D7-6725-4A01-B7D5-9D6D94A1825B.jpeg

Are these numbers good or bad?

While I agree that it's great for running around town and short trips don't take the same toll as on an ICE vehicle, I also firmly believe it's a great road trip car. I've stated before, even if it were on range par with your Audi at 500 miles, I don't see me driving that far or sitting behind the wheel that long; I've been in the MS 90D for almost 3 hours and didn't enjoy it (more enjoyable than an ICE, but still not ideal). Same with my MY.
Do you drive 500 miles? That's about 6+ hours. I used to drive 3-4 hours in a Lexus hybrid but once I started driving the Tesla I realized how much more relaxing it was than the ICE. Less vibration, less noise, more stops to stretch and relax. I did lots of road trips in the Tesla when I lived in NW Ohio. Detroit, Chicago, Upstate NY, Columbus. Never a problem (for me) because I wasn't interested in range but rather getting to the next charger with 10% SoC then taking off with about 50%. Again, a relaxing 2 hours followed by a 15-20 min stretch and relax, etc. YMMV.
Perhaps, ultimately, it's a state of mind sort of thing. We are all comfortable with and want different things. The driver assist allows me to take in more scenery; I drive at up to 75mph instead of trying to pass everyone at 80-85 in the ICE and it's far more relaxing to let everyone pass me.
It is and is not. I took my new MY on a 4,400 mile road trip a few weeks after getting it and then another 1,500 mile trip and enjoyed.

That said, there are times when time matters. This past weekend I had to take that same 1,500 mile trip and took the Audi. The 1.25 hours saved per direction were actually critical for me to get what I needed done. If it winter, the time discrepancy would be more severe. I’d never say it’s a bad car for road tripping. Im saying having an ICE vehicle as an option is a very good thing for my specific situation.

Reactions: Mikedfw and Ciaopec
Never loved the ICE. Love EVs! Prior to Tesla I drove 2x BMW and 2x MBZ. I admire the stock MY's simplicity. I'm just as -- if not more comfortable -- and don't miss the "luxury" of leather seating and dozens of buttons. Tesla could improve with HUDs, bird eye-view, etc, but am quite impressed with the car, as is. I agree Tesla Service Centers, and its techs, generally suck.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
City driving, through traffic short distances is great.. but on long trips, or high speeds 😬🤦🏻‍♂️That’s another story.🤣
🤷‍♂️ I drove 700 miles recently in my MYP. I don’t feel like I was spending excessive amount of time recharging on the trip. 70mph & AC on the whole time. I had to stop twice for 15 minutes & once for 30 each way. During the 15 minute stops, I walk around to help prevent blood clots. Common advice from doctors when road tripping. During 30 minute charge, I was eating lunch. Car finished charging before I was done so I let it go a bit longer. Overnight I charged for 40 minutes at a discounted 75khw supercharger near the hotel . It was $0.19 kWh rather than the $0.34 of nearby 150kwh chargers (they had no discount). During the 40 minutes I watched an episode on Netflix that I had been wanting to see. Car finished charging before the episode finished.

🤷‍♂️ I drove 700 miles recently in my MYP. I don’t feel like I was spending excessive amount of time recharging on the trip. 70mph & AC on the whole time. I had to stop twice for 15 minutes & once for 30 each way. During the 15 minute stops, I walk around to help prevent blood clots. Common advice from doctors when road tripping. During 30 minute charge, I was eating lunch. Car finished charging before I was done so I let it go a bit longer. Overnight I charged for 40 minutes at a discounted 75khw supercharger near the hotel . It was $0.19 kWh rather than the $0.34 of nearby 150kwh chargers (they had no discount). During the 40 minutes I watched an episode on Netflix that I had been wanting to see. Car finished charging before the episode finished.
I’m glad that works for you; I often travel from Anaheim to Chandler AZ to visit my grandkids; Keep in mind that most of the AZ highways speed posted is 75 mph; Almost everyone is doing 80+ including big rigs. You’ll always see Teslas getting passed because they have to go a certain speed to get to their next assigned charging station.. 🤦🏻‍♂️
The main reason I purchased a MYP is for performance/ speed, no one is going to pass me up or laugh at me..otherwise I would have purchased a Leaf, Bolt, VW, Kona, Niro, 🤣😂Sorry but didn’t spend $75K to drive in the slow lane.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m glad that works for you; I often travel from Anaheim to Chandler AZ to visit my grandkids; Keep in mind that most of the AZ highways speed posted is 75 mph; Almost everyone is doing 80+ including big rigs. You’ll always see Teslas getting passed because they have to go a certain speed to get to their next assigned charging station.. 🤦🏻‍♂️
The main reason I purchased a MYP is for performance/ speed, no one is going to pass me up or laugh at me..otherwise I would have purchased a Leaf, Bolt, VW, Kona, Niro, 🤣😂Sorry but didn’t spend $75K to drive in the slow lane.. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Same, I treat my model y like I treat my previous car. I don’t treat it any differently.

Reactions: cusetownusa
No regrets for us but then we started with a Prius sometime around 2007, then a Mercedes B class EV around 2016 which had a purported 120 mile range (not even close), then had to switch to an Acura RDX in 2019, because the B class turned out to be a lemon and was bought back after three years, while waiting for the Model Y to ramp up, then the MYLR in mid 2021.
That progression allowed us to fully appreciate the MYLR. I hated the RDX. The B class was a great little EV and you learn to plan around the limited range, so the MYLR was mind blowing where range was concerned. I frequently drive above the recommended speed and find the range is more than sufficient for our needs. I have done one road trip over 1000 miles and it performed well. No issues and using the supercharger was easy enough.

While the MB B class was fully optioned out and had nice luxury touches, that kind of stuff wasn't a big deal to me. I enjoy driving the MYLR a lot. I don't care or need the buttons and while the MB leather seats were very nicely put together and comfortable, the MYLR seats are fine. Not having lumbar controls for the passenger seat does bother us a lot but not a deal killer. I'll figure out a work around so my retrofit will work again. The right to repair is something that's needed.

I get that everyone is different and some coming from luxury or premium ICE cars might not be ready for EVs or Teslas. For us, we are trying to save for a second EV but the current inflation is ridiculous, though when I placed my deposit in January 2021, they had been dropping the price and I suspect once Austin, Berlin are fully ramped up and China returns to normal, we'll start to see price reductions again. I see a lot of people, like my young neighbor, buy their Teslas without even test driving it or researching it. They are totally clueless about what the car can do or how to maintain it. I can see some frustration or regrets due to that.

I traded in my 2014 Audi Q5 TDI for a 2021 MYLR received 6/6/21. After dealing with dieselgate “fixes”, DEF system failures(three), etc. I have NO regrets. Even though the Audi had a warranty for 120k miles and they threw about $13k at me, and I loved that car before they neutered it, my Tesla experience has been far superior. 33k troublefree miles is better than free donuts in the waiting room.