Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets [Anyone regret trading in their ICE for their Tesla?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, but how much has everyone really saved on gas?
I calculated that compared to my previous vehicle, which was a 2015 Honda Odyssey, the MYP costs roughly 1/3 to power for the same amount of mileage. That was when gas was right at $3 per gallon.

I agree with others that driving an EV doesn't really save you anything compared to ICE given the high up-front cost, but for me, not having to visit a gas station in the past year is pretty much priceless.

I actually went from 95% to 22% in 131 miles (it was 90F, sunny outside) with cruise control at 78mph on a somewhat flat highway, with one stop near the end of that leg of the trip for a 1h picnic. Car was parked in the sun and cabin overheat protection came on while we were eating outside, but yeah 73% used for 131 miles would yield roughly 180 miles of range from 100% to zero in the case of this trip. I drove normally, accelerated normally etc.

And I fully understand the argument that that type of range covers 95% of most people's driving (less than that for us who experience Canadian winters), but the problem is what do you do for the 5-10% or more of the instances where it doesn't cut it? Rent a car? That's a huge hassle in and of itself, never mind the fact that your $75k USD ($100k CAD with taxes in Canada) car is basically useless? It's a very hard problem to solve, even Tesla hasn't solved it. Just throwing in more battery capacity means higher cost and more weight.

Also, IMO, all EVs should have a city and highway range rating just like ICE cars have city/highway mileage ratings. Actually, the difference between city/highway range is even greater for EVs than the difference in mileage for ICE cars. I might consider an EV as a main car when there is an 8 stall reliable fast charger in every gas station in the country, until then, it does not compute.
It was from 90% charge to 6-8% left after 200 mile trip

I calculated that compared to my previous vehicle, which was a 2015 Honda Odyssey, the MYP costs roughly 1/3 to power for the same amount of mileage. That was when gas was right at $3 per gallon.

I agree with others that driving an EV doesn't really save you anything compared to ICE given the high up-front cost, but for me, not having to visit a gas station in the past year is pretty much priceless.
Meh, gas stations never really bothered me.

OK. Gotcha.

Toyota is reliable because they have been making basically the same vehicles for the last 20 years. There's very little new. This year's Tacoma is basically the same in terms of drive train and engine as my 2011. Once they hit on a pattern that works they keep doing it. But at the same time, the tech in my 2011 was 5 years behind other manufacturer's vehicles. And Toyota did have some initial major issues with Tacomas and had to rewrite the program after the first few years. So they aren't perfect.

I agree with what @804son said. Other than a few up front tweaks there's no reason to think that Teslas won't last for 300K miles (and some have) because besides battery life, there is so much less to break.
Toyotas are generally more reliable because they are significantly detuned as a rule. A comparable BMW will have far more specific output, run higher compression, have more advance on timing, firmer suspension and run on premium fuel. Toyotas are typically driven easy, not on autocross, running easy and giving great reliability. This engineering philosophy will predictly give longer life than a more highly tuned competitor.

Tesla has a engineering goal to produce Million Mile vehicles. Fewer moving parts, less stress on the parts, no engines to pollute and wear out etc. Overall it makes sense that Tesla will have fewer service needs than equilivantly powerful ICE vehicles. No tune ups, oil changes, exhaust systems, longer lasting brakes due to regeneration etc. It is their goal not to make their money on repairs, but from the initial car purchase itself.

Toyotas are generally more reliable because they are significantly detuned as a rule. A comparable BMW will have far more specific output, run higher compression, have more advance on timing, firmer suspension and run on premium fuel. Toyotas are typically driven easy, not on autocross, running easy and giving great reliability. This engineering philosophy will predictly give longer life than a more highly tuned competitor.

Tesla has a engineering goal to produce Million Mile vehicles. Fewer moving parts, less stress on the parts, no engines to pollute and wear out etc. Overall it makes sense that Tesla will have fewer service needs than equilivantly powerful ICE vehicles. No tune ups, oil changes, exhaust systems, longer lasting brakes due to regeneration etc. It is their goal not to make their money on repairs, but from the initial car purchase itself.
Mmm I dunno about that. Everytime I pass by my tesla service center, it’s full of people waiting to get their car fixed.