Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets...maybe.??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello friends,

So let me start off by saying I love driving my Model X. That said, I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the car and the issues, to the point where I am starting to question the purchase decision. Prior to receiving my Model X (P90D, not signature), I was driving a MS P85+. I had one of the first P85+ made. I understood what I thought were the risks of having an early model Tesla. I had minor issues with the P85+ but nothing that made me question the car or the quality of the build. The same can not be said from my Model X.

I picked up my Model X about three weeks ago. I was anxious about taking delivery because a very good friend of mine has a Model X Signature and has had nothing but problems. I talked to my contact at Tesla who assured me that the QA issues that effected my friends car would not effect mine- that the delay in delivery was due to additional QA, etc, etc.

During the delivery process one of the falcon doors had a sensor problem, but I was told that they improve over time and if i have any further issues to bring it back in. I left Tesla excited and confidant with my Model X. Over the course of 3 weeks I have had the following issues:

1. Parking light would not go off (even after turning off all power to vehicle). FIXED @ SC
2. Both falcon doors sporadically don't work, for reasons that are not consistent.- Sensors for both doors need to be replaced- NO PARTS available
3. The screen constantly freezes and needs to be rebooted- Noted, but no real solution fixes problem
4. When parking brake applied, "parking break will not set" error message. Thankfully it is a false warning
5. Wind noise- car needs new seals throughout. At times when front door closes, the small glass towards front of door does not seal, requiring driver to open and close door multiple times to seal door. - New seals ordered- No Parts
6. Door locking hatch on driver side door- this just started happening. The door does not latch correctly so either does not close or the latch motor keeps spinning. Opening the pax door is like a lottery, sometimes works, sometimes does not. - No parts available- waiting for new part.

And now to add to this list, the recall and not having Pax in the third row. I must say this is the most expensive car I have ever purchased and for the amount of money and years of development I am extremely disappointed with the product. I never thought twice about opening and closing car doors; now I do. I have a family SUV and treat it like a 1 door car. I try not to open any door other than the driver. This is unacceptable. If this was only happening to me I would feel better, knowing I just had a lemon. But this is widespread. Tesla needs to do something and something fast. While I congratulate them on the Model 3 success, I can not imagine how they are going to produce them. That is tomorrows problem though, we as Model X owners need fixes today.

Looking forward to other owners perspectives.

Really sorry to hear this Richard. I have had the opposite experience as I constantly look for times to open the doors. The car gives our family great joy and although it's the most we've ever spent on a car I think it's worth every penny.

I also have one of the first P+'s ever built and I feel that the build quality of the X is quite a bit better. The issues you mention can and will all be fixed either through software or after one service visit when the parts arrive. This is the price we pay for being the first 1000 or so cars produced. But the one thing you can say about Tesla unlike any other manufacturer is that they will break their backs to make it right and a month from now your frustrations will disappear.

Reactions: madodel and tezzla
Sorry you are disappointed. I actually have a longer list... to top it off my front brakes failed and had to be completely replaced. The Service Center has been wonderful and my list is down to 6 minor things (they will be taken care of next week) and the recall. I love driving this car. This is my 3rd Tesla and it's my way of giving the Oil Companies my middle finger. The best part is the big smile on my face as I drive past the gas stations.

Reactions: madodel
Totally understand your frustration.
Here is my advice:
1. You are not alone
2. Get it fixed

My X is still in SC for fixing issues. I only drove 1 day after i took delivery before it went in. The reason why my car took almost 3 weeks to complete is mostly the damages caused by driver side door and unpainted area under the FWD. It requires body shop to get it fixed along with Tesla. i should be able to get the X back today if no more unpredictable event happening.

Again don't be discouraged. My X costed me 160K plus and i even added sub zero package for been in sunny southern california just to support Tesla. A very frustrated fan boy here, lol!

Reactions: madodel