Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my biggest regret was not just waiting a tad bit longer. I ordered my S85 in August of 2014, got it super fast in September of 2014 and ended up with one of the cars that just missed out on Autpilot by a few days. Loved the car but felt that Autopilot hardware was a big part of the future updatability of the car. So traded the car in November and am now waiting on an 85D.

The only other regret I had was in getting the cloth headliner in the first car. I never realized that the car would come with a tan headliner even though I'd bought the grey interior (I should have noticed this but didn't). Both of the demo cars we drove had tan interiors so I didn't notice it. But when we got the S85 and I was driving home I noticed how out of place the tan headliner fit with the grey and black of the rest of the car (got grey leather seats). Fixed that on the 85D by ordering the black headliner.

Obviously neither time did I buy a P. I just don't see the need for that sort of performance here in the states and it's not like the S85 or 85D have poor performance. Both are much better than the Lexus GS I was driving before. That's not about money either by the time I'm done with trading this vehicle I could have bought a P85 back in September.

Got 19" base wheels. I do think the cyclone style wheels look nicer but they seem expensive to me and I don't think it matters that much.

Got the base audio, I mostly listen to talk radio so I don't see a lot of benefit from an improved sound system. Though I must admit, slacker encouraged me to listen to more music that I normally would. But I still didn't really regret the base audio. The biggest complaint about the audio was weak FM reception, but that's not something improved by the audio system.

If the upgraded lighting had stayed a separate package I probably would have ordered it on the 85D. But there's no way I was going to pay for the premium interior package since I don't think the normal interior materials are that bad. As it is with a base vehicle there's effectively no lighting in the trunk (only a light on the hatch which might as well not be there). However, I've seen lots of people post about adding lighting there. Same thing is true with the frunk, but we weren't really using it so I don't think it's as big of a problem. But I figure this is something that a modification can be done fairly easily to improve.

I'm not super excited about the taller headrests in the rear seats on the newer vehicles. Rarely will have people in the backseat so I'd rather have the rear visibility, but that can be solved by just leaving the rear seats folded down most of the time.

Initially I regretted not upgrading to the winter package for my P85D after heated steering wheel option came out. Realized that preheating the car does the trick and I would have probably never used the heated steering wheel option! So no regrets!

No regrets here either. I initially wanted a grey, but the grey they had was much to light for my taste. I am very pleased with the green. It was the perfect configuration for me, given what they offered then.
Love the coil suspension. Love the quick action liftgate (no tech). Love the 19" wheels. Love the textile seats. Interior lighting was standard then - I do like it, but no way would I spring for the interior package today.
Love the front trunk space, I use it all the time.

If I were to order today, having the experience with the car, I'd get almost the same thing. Since green is no longer an option, and the grey is darker now, my config today would be grey S85 with cold weather package.

If I were to order today, having the experience with the car, I'd get almost the same thing. Since green is no longer an option, and the grey is darker now, my config today would be grey S85 with cold weather package.

Nice to hear someone is happy without all the options. I ordered solid white S85 with Subzero Weather Package. Estimated delivery time is late April, no regrets yet!

I have a relatively early VIN 6xxx and have only one regret, not getting the jumper seats. I don't have kids, so I thought no use for it, but there have actually been many times I could have used them for out of town guests that DID have kids (including my sister who has 5 boys) and it would have given me the ability to transport like a minivan. Then they announced that you couldn't retrofit them due to having to reinforce the rear bumper. Other than that, perfect. Wouldn't change a thing. Extremely lucky to get in before the price bump on the base cost, as well as the ala carte pricing which would have pushed up the price even further. Got everything except the dual-chargers and jumper seats for $100k even.

Nice to hear someone is happy without all the options. I ordered solid white S85 with Subzero Weather Package. Estimated delivery time is late April, no regrets yet!

The tech package has so much more now than when I ordered, but I still think I would not get it. I don't need all those nanny options. I'd like the dimming mirrors and the profiles, but that's really about it. I like to drive.

I fixed ALL of these issues with the P85D. Got the improved performance, went with a lighter interior (grey), got the rear seats, got the autopilot hardware, and many other things. Now, with the D, I do have a few regrets:

(4) I don't regret getting the center console. I had no idea how much better this would make the car. I wish I had gotten it for my S85

Great summary, couldn't agree more. Which center console did you end up getting -- Evannex or Tesla's? If the latter, does the carbon fibre match adequately with your interior?

-- David

I regret never having been married, or having kids.
Now I'm 49. I have lots of stuff, good health but no family.

Wait, this was about my Tesla!
S85, fully loaded, (minus those kids seats of course.)
And I love it, good distance, great looks and after-market rims and tint for an inexpensive, custom look!

Sometimes I think I should've waited for the D... I had the option to modify my order and wait an extra 2 months... but I dont really "need" AWD. If its icy/snowy outside, I'll just work from home. No one here knows how to drive in the snow (myself included).

But then I'd still be waiting which would suck :) and I'm very happy with my non-D 85.