Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regs on registering sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't sell the reservation, it's not transferable except for extreme cases (possibly like the death of the original holder).

What you could do is have them give you the money for it, configure it how they want it, then you take delivery and immediately sell it to them. I don't what, if any EV incentives are available in Australia, but I imagine you would forego those as well.

Just make sure that when it comes to money, you get the check before you place the order and make sure you're not the bank (ie. the one receiving payments against their loan). Money and family usually don't mix very well. Put something in writing just to be safe.

What regulations does Tesla put on the reservation sale?
Can it be sold to family or friend?

Your reservation is not transferable but there are alternatives:

1) You can add other people's names on your car title/registration.

2) Once you take delivery, you can sell your car to anyone.

In the US, taxes must be solved:

1) Only 1 new VIN can take the credit at a time, so multiple owners must decide who would file.

2) If you sell, both you and new owner cannot take the tax credit. Both you and your new owners would pay a registration fee and car title fee.

So how does a company sale work?
The reservation is my name but the company will be buying it.
Why can't the same thing be done with family/friend?
So you are saying the reservation is in your name and a company will be paying for it .... for you?
Same would work with family, friends, etc. If the reservation is in your name they can probably pay for it... for you.
Likewise, I have a reservation in my name and I'll probably put down a down payment and a bank will buy the rest for me.

I'm guessing that's not what you meant, but your example doesn't involve a transfer of the reservation or a change of who's going to be on the title, you are only changing the payer.

...Why can't the same thing be done with family/friend?

Yes, it can.

Your reservation is in your name. You cannot transfer it to your friends, families or in your case Company.

However, you can certainly add the names of your friends, families or in your case, Company to the car title and registration.

If those people or company doesn't like the idea of co-owners, then after you got your car, you sell or transfer the title/registration to them or to your company.

If they or your company don't want to go through the hoop because of non-transferable reservation, they or your company just have to make a new reservation in their names.