Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regular 90D 0-60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that's the fastest I've seen the 90D listed at. It's definitely very quick! I've had a P85D loaner on a couple occasions and while the P85D is faster from a dead stop, they feel very similar past 50mph or so.
So in other words, it's comparable to the regular P85 off the line, but probably a little bit quicker from 50+ thanks to the dual motors?

The sales team didn't have a 90D for an overnight test drive so gave me a P85+ telling me that it has equivalent performance. I was sold after having tested a 70 and 70D (both great vehicles).
Okay, that's great to hear. Thank you! Knowing that, I feel better about saving the $20-30k and having it ready for my next S upgrade (who knows what will happen in the next 3 years :D)

Now I just have to decide whether the tires (21 grey turbines) are worth it for me. What did you go with?

Last edited:
So in other words, it's comparable to the regular P85 off the line, but probably a little bit quicker from 50+ thanks to the dual motors?

Well, sort of, on paper. I had the P85, and yes, pointed in a straight line with good tarmac and good tires, you could absolutely do a 3.9, sometimes. It all came down to the traction, and I think the P85+'s were a little more consistent with their staggered 21" wheels.

But the dual-motor cars don't care what direction you are in or if you have hot sticky asphalt, they just go as fast as they can. So while yes they are equal on paper, in real-life, the dual motor cars are just a tinge faster from a stop.

Now to confuse you more, once you got up to 20,30,40,50mph, the P85 seemed like it had a little bit for oomph. I haven't seen it conclusively born out in numbers, that was just my personal observation.

I've measured my 85D 0-60 at anywhere from 4.2-4.4 depending on state of charge and road conditions. Mine does have pano roof, dual chargers, and UHFS, so it's a little heavier than a lesser-optioned 85D.

90D is likely to be very similar, possibly a tiny bit faster due to lesser internal battery resistance, which raises the terminal voltage under load slightly.

Owned a P85 for over 3 years now. 90D loaner is faster. Hands down, essentially every situation, except maybe perfect pavement, with great traction for a perfect launch on the P85, then they are about the same. 90D seems to be able to put it's power down any time, even in the rain. P85 had to be careful with applying power or traction control would limit. Additionally, the suspension on the new cars is way better. Simultaneously more comfortable than my P85, with less body roll and no floaty feeling. Very refined. This 90D loaner feels like a P85+ without the comfort penalties the + suspension had (like head toss when hitting bumps due to large sway bars).

If anything, the 85D/90D will have more consistent performance off the line and in general thanks to the dual motor all wheel drive. The grip on this car is insane! I think the P85 would have difficulty depending on road conditions, while my 90D can put down power in almost any situation.

I had a P85+ loaner and I really did not like it... It was squealing at every stoplight I launched at, and my 85D is faster at speed anyways. Love my car on the other hand, and I'd also say mine is much more planted than the P85+.