Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regular charging limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge my M3LR every few days up to 80%, I reckon I would push this out a day or so on average if there was slightly more range as I don’t like to let it go below 30% in case I need to do more miles than expected in a day.

My charger is at work so weekday charging normally.

Just reading on the Tesla online manual that regular charging ip to 90% is recommended whereas I was less to believe that 80% was the day to day max.

Has it always been this way? My car is a dec 2021

Attachments

• B2D6918B-F5DC-4281-8F51-EDA067391F79.png
    B2D6918B-F5DC-4281-8F51-EDA067391F79.png
    588.3 KB · Views: 109
The people in the know seem to recommend 55% or less...

No doubt for some people this is either really import, or feels that it is really important. But I think too much can be made of it.

my data point is that I had an MS-90, arguably the worst chemistry battery Tesla have made. Back then I had journeys that needed Supercharger at least 2x a month. I charged to 100% quite often (but I did strive not to leave it sat at 100% for prolonged periods, and I charge immediately on return if the charge is below 20%). That lost 5-6% (around 15 miles) over 3.5years and 95K miles.

Dunno how much range-loss there would be on an ICE at 95K miles? I expect that would have "some" too?!

I don't think it is overly worth worrying about

Reactions: Bouba
No doubt for some people this is either really import, or feels that it is really important. But I think too much can be made of it.

my data point is that I had an MS-90, arguably the worst chemistry battery Tesla have made. Back then I had journeys that needed Supercharger at least 2x a month. I charged to 100% quite often (but I did strive not to leave it sat at 100% for prolonged periods, and I charge immediately on return if the charge is below 20%). That lost 5-6% (around 15 miles) over 3.5years and 95K miles.

Dunno how much range-loss there would be on an ICE at 95K miles? I expect that would have "some" too?!

I don't think it is overly worth worrying about
I agree with you...but a lot of forumite types enjoy geeking out😀 and the master thread on battery management is a good one to do it on with lots of helpful advice 👍

Reactions: WannabeOwner
So 89% is as fine as 80% or am I reading it wrong?
Yes it's fine. The only thing to be aware of is that when you do all the "good" things in terms on battery longevity (by keeping within the mid range percentages when not needing to push the limits) you can find that the Battery Management System (BMS) can begin to lose track of its upper and lower limits (after a few months). The result can be that the total number of claimed range miles indicated is reduced. To counter this issue once in a blue moon you can do the "bad things" and charge fully to 100% and also let the car sit at a low state of charge (low teens maybe) for a couple of hours. This allows the BMS to better gauge the battery capacity and you will generally "regain" some indicated range. [It's my opinion that this is likely why Tesla choose the 90% or less recommendation being the best compromise between battery longevity and the BMS being able to accurately display your usage.]

Reactions: Giveittomebaby