TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Regular cruise control?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DeadEnd, May 30, 2016.

1. DeadEnd

DeadEnd Member

if I don't upgrade to the auto pilot convenience package is there still regular cruise control like on an ICE?

2. DougH

DougH Active Member

Yes, but the good thing is you get the new stalks, not the old one up higher.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes and it's quite good. But I recommend that you get the AutoPilot option, it is pretty amazing for a first release and it will only get better (though the AP hardware in current production will never do full autonomous driving). Many owners with AP report that it makes long freeway drives less tiring, more relaxing. You still have to stay focused on the road and ready to take over if needed.

4. DeadEnd

DeadEnd Member

Trying to keep the price down and $2500 for something I'll use 1% of the time doesn't make sense to me. That's why I was wondering about standard cruise control. Does the standard cruise control adaptive at all?

5. alwaysru

alwaysru Member

You also still get some of the safety features without Autopilot:
    • Front and side collision avoidance
    • Blind spot warning
    • Lane departure warning

6. alwaysru

alwaysru Member

Unfortunately no.

7. DougH

DougH Active Member

You are only hurting your resale value though.

8. ecarfan

The TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) is only available with the AP option, and is adaptive.

The standard cruise control is like cruise control has been for decades: it maintains a set speed no matter what happens until you touch the accelerator or brake. Only exception is if the standard Automatic Emergency Braking system detects an impending collision and it will then brake to reduce speed but will not avoid an impact.

9. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

If you have the adaptive cruise, you may end up using it more than you think. I use it regularly in rush-hour traffic because it handles all the stop-and-go very well.

10. Beryl

Beryl Member

Agreed. The added safety and ticket avoidance (you can limit your overage by X mph) of TACC is a bargain makes it a "must-have" feature. I use it -- everywhere. Think of it this way: $2500 now over $3000 later.

11. zambono

zambono Member

Not collision avoidance but warning

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

not "loading" the car up will diminish it's value when it comes time to sell. $2500 more on such a costly car isn't all that much. I would not get ludacris, 21 inch wheels and maybe airs suspension before I'd delete the AP option.

• Like x 1
  13. keydiver

keydiver Member

I'm not sure that I totally agree, considering the new owner can easily add it later if desired. The hardware is already there. That being said, I also bought my 70D without Autopilot, to keep the cost down, but had it recently added. It certainly made the 2400 mile roundtrip to PA much easier. The TACC made following heavy traffic a breeze, as Mr T always kept himself back at a safe distance without me having to keep playing with the CC or hitting the brakes. I'd hate to imagine ever buying another car without TACC.

14. ecarfan

Yes you can "easily" add it later for $3,000, $500 more than if you had ordered the car that way.

It will make the car more difficult to re-sell because you will be competing against a vast number of used cars with AP included. Yes, you can price your non-AP car lower.

15. alwaysru

alwaysru Member

Per the website (Model S | Tesla Motors) those features are without adding Autopilot. Scroll almost all the way to the bottom. Autopilot adds:
    • Automatic steering and summon
    • Traffic-aware cruise control
    • Automatic lane centering and changing
    • Parking space detection
    • Self parallel parking
    • Automatic high/low beam headlights