Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

regular maintenance cost for a Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Can anyone tell me the cost of a regular 20k km service if it is done in a service centre in Europe?

thank you

Well, my roadster is 3 1/2 ;year old, with 73000 km, and I never had a paying service (it was free up to now...)
actually, I am not at all sure that such a service is really necessary!
It is a precise message on the screen if a real problem is detected, and I have to say that I will not get the roadster serviced before to get something precise to repair

There is work to be done regularly. The roadster's motor and electronics are air cooled. Dust and debris can accumulate. So in addition to the usual things like checking brakes, fluid levels and most importantly the HVAC, the PEM is lifted out of the way to access blowers and channels. Also the battery is checked with tests that take some time (bleed test). The logs are checked. Of course if you drive relatively little just on clean roads, "your mileage might vary". The biggest ticket item will be anyway your tires. The Roadster is quick.
P.S. A malfunctioning HVAC can stall the car.

Well, my roadster is 3 1/2 ;year old, with 73000 km, and I never had a paying service (it was free up to now...)
actually, I am not at all sure that such a service is really necessary!
It is a precise message on the screen if a real problem is detected, and I have to say that I will not get the roadster serviced before to get something precise to repair

How do you manage that? I have to pay €1500 for each service. Ok, they have to fly down and rent a car etc. but that's a lot more than free!

When they visit they perform several routine cleaning and updating tasks plus adjustments and such. In general it takes a full day to get the job done. The cleaning is really needed here as the electrics don't cool well when they get dirty.

Even with that yearly servicing I have still had to change myself the rear toe joints, which wore out after 50k kms, and the remote door opener module, which had an antenna issue. I got a lot of support from the service guys and they guided my via skype through the door opener module.

Come to think of it, I have also changed the 12V battery myself, taken the doors to pieces to adjust the windows so they closed properly, and replaced the rear fans several times. So there's lots to do on the Roadster if you like to roll your sleeves up.

....But I think I need to look into my service pricing! :)

Thank you all for the feedback, very helpful.

Tesla has provided me the checklist and only the "clean debris" items are still to be done. I have some doubt what and how to check it. In fact it is not a big problem for me to workout in this car but the fear to damage doing something wrong.

Maybe Mgemmell fees are not so expensive and I see you are very experienced already :biggrin:

Unfortunately the service guys from Tesla Europe are not so helpful.

The cleaning task requires taking off the power electronics module (PEM) in the rear, and that is a highly specialized job. There are DEADLY voltages and currents there and it is in no way advisable that you try this. Just about every other maintenance job is possible to try (as you can see from my list) but I have to draw the line for anything North of 12V :)

You will notice the debris issue when the weather gets warm... when the PEM overheats it introduces a power limit, but before this the fans will be working hard too and you will hear that easily.