Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regular (not enhanced) Autopilot on Long-Range RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Long-Range RWD Model 3 on Tuesday. I was just looking at the new ordering page (with the mid-range now being offered), and I noticed that "regular" (not enhanced) Autopilot is standard on the AWD model. Is that included standard on the car I ordered last week? I seem to recall it was an upgrade option, but I can't be sure. Thanks.

The "Autopilot" portion on the left is no extra charge as it's "standard" and you don't have to place a check mark on it and you don't pay $5,000 additionally.

"Standard Autopilot Features" are included all current Tesla cars being produced without any additional payment.

"Enhanced" portion on the right costs $5,000 if you place a checkmark on that:

upload_2018-10-21_10-47-32.png

This is a very deceptive way of having an option in the order page.

Basic autopilot is not autopilot at all. It is some pretty standard safety features that most cars in this price range will have, like automatic emergency braking and proximity sensors. So don’t even think you will get smart cruise control or lane keeping with the standard auto pilot.

Now coming to the enhanced auto pilot, the enhanced part of it is again a little deceptive.

This full self driving and enhanced auto pilot marketing is very shady

Thanks fir the responses. Those features are plenty for me.

The ones listed on the left is no way sufficient for me.

For free, you would get Automatic Emergency Braking but do you realize that the manual says it only reduces of the force collision and not stops your car to avoid a collision?

It even gives you an example in case you still think that the braking will save you from a collision:

"For example, if Automatic Emergency Braking applies braking when driving 56 mph (90 km/h), it releases the brakes when your speed has been reduced to 31 mph (50 km/h)."

Notice the AEB "releases the brakes" in this case at the speed of 31MPH. That does not mean it avoids collision but it allows a collision at 31MPH in the example above.

The goal of paid Autopilot is different: It is to avoid collisions.

Last edited:
From a basic new car features you expect in the class view point you would think the safety features standard on every Tesla , FCW , AEB would/should also include basic adaptive cruise. Standard , as in many cars on the market way less $ than the 3 come with these and more standard.

The option package EAP $5,000 would add Auto steer , summon, blind warning, auto lane change , auto park .
This would make Tesla a better value IMO .

Also I think Tesla should just add the class leading BSM in the mirror feature as an option on all Tesla’s and standard on the better equipped S And X models.
At the least a software update to include a toggle able audible warning to the current system .

While they are at it CarPlay would be a no brainer

From a basic new car features you expect in the class view point you would think the safety features standard on every Tesla , FCW , AEB would/should also include basic adaptive cruise. Standard , as in many cars on the market way less $ than the 3 come with these and more standard.

The option package EAP $5,000 would add Auto steer , summon, blind warning, auto lane change , auto park .
This would make Tesla a better value IMO .

Also I think Tesla should just add the class leading BSM in the mirror feature as an option on all Tesla’s and standard on the better equipped S And X models.
At the least a software update to include a toggle able audible warning to the current system .

While they are at it CarPlay would be a no brainer
IIRC Blind spot monitoring is supposed to be standard. Seems like everyone who uses the BSM in mirror uses some form of radar in the mirror. That probably wouldn't integrate well with the plan to do everything using vison. I agree on the audible warning as well as the visual.

I am torn on CarPlay. The biggest plus for CarPlay is nav, but Teslas nav is already more useful in routing to chargers on long trips and having Nav on AP. Apple isn't going to allow or even offer a link in for Nav on AP to be able to use their mapping system.