TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Regular SC use bad for the battery, but what about DCFC?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Naonak, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Naonak

Naonak Member

So it's my understanding (and please correct me if I am wrong) and from everything I've read that regular supercharger use is generally considered bad for the battery due to the high charge rate. Is this correct or do I misunderstand whats been posted and the general consensus?

Assuming that to be true - I regularly charge at DCFCs (I do it on a daily basis) - do I have the same potential shortening of battery life due to charging rapidly. I know it's not as rapid as an SC, but it's pretty quick - usually around 150 - 175 Mi/H charge rate. Should I be toning that down or limiting my DCFC charging to preserve the life of the battery?

2. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

#2 omarsultan, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  3. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

#3 SW2Fiddler, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  4. Naonak

Naonak Member

Ok, so I can buy that the SCs communicate with the car to deliver the proper charge to eliminate or mitigate degradation... but what about the CHAdeMO DCFCs? They aren't Tesla specific and probably don't care about the car like the SC network would be programmed to do... is that possibly an issue then? What rate is considered 1C?

5. brkaus

brkaus Member

The car is still telling it how much power it can accept.

6. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

The reasons the J1772 adaptor is a little bit of plastic is that the Tesla chargers use the same protocols at J1772, so you just need a physical adaptor. The reason the Chadmo adaptor is a $500 beast is that beyond the physical form factor for the plug, it has electronics in it that convert between the control protocols that the Tesla uses and the control protocols that the Chademo charging station is speaking. The net result is the Tesla can have the same kind of conversation with the Chademo station as it does with the SC to tell it how much power it wants and to control the taper.